Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Wow Sarah, sounds a bit like here...! I've got a neighbour who I know will set the police on me if I so much as fire my saw up on a Sunday, which means no building for half of every weekend. Most professionals I've come into contact with over this project have said "you can't do that!", like you have to belong to the guild before you're allowed to build an oven. And I should probably applied for building permission before starting - you need to apply for permission if you so much as want to put up a rabbit hutch around here. But then I would have had to wait for them to process it. A month, a year, who knows?) Therer are so many building regulations that no one really knows what's allowed and what isn't anyway, so I just went ahead with it...

BTW, in our family it's usually me who makes the mess building things and my husband who's going "how much is this going to cost again?" It's not a male-female thing, its a builder-nonbuilder thing. Having said that, he's also very supportive, loves Pizza and carries all the heavy cement sacks for me. :-)

And yes, the higher you get, the faster the rows are finished. Or at least thats what I found, with my minimal cuts policy.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Master Builder

Row 5 complete !!

It was dark and was I getting a bit sloppy so I decided to quit for the night but here's a pic of the dirty dome anyway. I'll try and do a major interior cleanup tomorrow. As for more rows, rain is forecast, but maybe ...

The next phase is the one I've been dreading - tying the throat & vent area into the dome but I have a feeling that once that and row 6 are done, it'll be fairly smooth sailing afterward ? If not, don't burst my bubble - let me maintain the illusion for just a while longer at least. (Thanks Frances for confirming that higher rows = faster course completion!)

Sarah
Attached Thumbnails
Sarah's Progress Photos-15_row-5-done.jpg  
Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah - It's looking great! That fact that you are not tying into an arch, after 6, you should be golden. Continued success and good weather be with you

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, that's really a nice start. Don't dread the transition, it was the most fun part for me. Just cut the bricks and make them fit the way you want. It will work out just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah,
Great job on the brickwork. Julian referred me to your progress pics regarding the transition between the dome and the opening. I cant decide whether to just build the dome first and then deal with the vent and oven opening after that part is done, or just do it all at the same time, as you did.
Any second thoughts after your progress so far?

Regarding your neighbor, once the oven is done and ready to cure, invite her over to watch and promise her a yummy pizza as soon as your up and cooking. Perhaps that will placate her.
George

-
Old 10-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Thanks all for the kind words, votes of confidence and good-weather wishes.

The weather gods have not smiled on me today though (look at the first photo below and then back to the first one in this thread to see the difference just one week makes) - brings to mind a song (continuing Frances' music theme):

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, ...

No one is allowed to even think the end refrain until my dome is done - or till mid-December ... whichever comes first!

The sun returns tomorrow . My hands need a break anyway .
Attached Thumbnails
Sarah's Progress Photos-16_oct27-weather.jpg   Sarah's Progress Photos-16_weather-protection.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Hah! Just after the last post, a rain break! Row 6 almost complete!!

It's now pouring buckets and that's definitely it for the day - other things to do ... like first, find the hand creme. I'm just now remembering that I was going to wear gloves this time - but forgot. If I keep forgetting, I won't be able to feel my fingertips soon.

Sarah
Attached Thumbnails
Sarah's Progress Photos-17_row-6-half-back.jpg   Sarah's Progress Photos-17_row-6-half-front.jpg   Sarah's Progress Photos-17_row-6-half-side.jpg  
Old 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good Sarah!

Keep it up.

How nuts is the transition driving ya?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks really great!

What is it about watching a dome take form that's so fascinating??? Keep going, can't wait to see you finish! :-)
Old 10-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Master Builder

Hey, Dave & Frances, thanks!

The transition is ... interesting ... still a work-in-progress, but at least the logistics are sorted out now and I know how to move forward. It was driving me nuts and I actually woke up yesterday morning thinking "What if I do this? ... or that? ... or maybe ....". But watching the dome take form is truly amazing!

I'm not sure how far I'll get today - it's only expected to reach 4C - that's about 39F!! I'll settle for completing row 6. Anything more will be a bonus.

You two must be gearing up for that first firing soon - how nuts is it driving you to wait???

Sarah