Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

This is exactly what I did and it worked just fine.

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:18 AM

If you must use a soldier course (and I don't see any reason to do so at all) I really recommend steering clear of the full brick design. It creates such weakness at that upper corner that a lot of such ovens need buttressing to succeed. A half brick soldier course allows your angle cut to be used twice, and saves a lot of little brick shards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russ,
Mine was a 16 deg cut on the soldier. And I had a 42" as well. However, it does appear that every year or so, something "new" comes along that really makes sense. Dmuns suggestion is valid. The tall(ish) soldier does become the weakest point. It is nice to get a start on the height and you DO want the first few inches of the dome to be mostly vertical (so you can get pots and pans in there without hitting the curve at the edges-a non issue at 42") but you can achieve it with 2 regular "row" bricks as well.

If you've already cut them as official soldiers, don't worry, they're fine.

Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Serf

Talking Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Hi Guys,
Thank you for your input; itís good to know that Iím on the right track.

Well you gotta love a long weekend, with perfect spring weather and 3 days to work on my WFO. Iím absolutely ecstatic; completed everything that I set out to do. The work went better than I imagined, all the preparation of marking out, making templates and dry runs made it easier, is a must to ensure that all fits as it should. Itís very rewarding to see the project taking shape.

So at the end of the weekend; Iíve completed the inter arch and the soldier course are mortared into place. I went with a 15.5 degree cut off the top of the soldier, leaving the back 180 mm high. The first test will be when I remove the arch form and see if it all stays in place.

Unfortunately the next couple of weekends are busy with some other commitments, but in a couple of weeks I have 5 days annual leave; I canít wait, a week to dedicate to the oven. In the mean time Iíll purchase the rest of my bricks, insulation blanket and Coolcast render for the final layer of insulation.

A big thank you to all on the forum who have submitted their individual thoughts and ideas, itís a great source of what works well and what to avoid.

More details to follow in the coming weeks.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000817_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000823_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000824_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000828_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000844_2.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Serf

Just a couple more shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000857_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000863_2.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Russ. I was going to warn you when I saw the spacers in your side archs that if you don't mix the mortar on the thick side, they will compress and it will ooze out and your opening at the sides will be lower than planned. But you did right anyway. Nice arch and soldier course. Can't wait to see the rings go up.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Serf

Cool Re: Russ's 42" WFO Project

Where does the time go? I took a week off and made good progress, the last couple of weekends have been busy; not working on the WFO unfortunatly.

However for the first time in awhile I'm thankful for daylight saving here in South Australia. This has enabled me to do a couple hours after getting home from the paid job.

I'm certainly glad I've passed the arch transition stage. Wow was that a chanllenge! But so far so good everything appears to have held tight, thanks to some good old twine tensioned up with off cuts. I made some modifications to my arch form to include a ledge on the inside for support.

So it's now onwards and upwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000979_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000984_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000986_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1000977_2.jpg  

Russ

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Serf

Over the past couple of weeks I've managed to make some great progress.

The dome is now closed, wrapped and rendered. The closing of the dome was a great moment, after some rather frustrating times, but I'm now out the other side and looking forward to getting things fired up.

I've covered the dome with a 25mm (1") layer of Thermal Ceramic - Superwool 607 Blanket and applied a 15mm (1/2"+) layer of Moral CoolCast. This is a lightweight insulation with selected lightweight aggregates and calcium aluminate cement.
The front entry arch is complete and all things going well I will be able to install my flue over the coming weekend.

I do have a question.

How thick to make the insulation over the dome and insulation blanket? I plan of finishing with an igloo shape with a final layer of a waterproofed tinted traditional render. I would appreciate any input as to whether another layer is required and how think.

Thank you to all who have posted their trials and tribulations while constructing their WFOís itís been most helpful. Please enjoy a look at some of my work thus far.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010004_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010025_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010048_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010061_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010028_2.jpg  

Russ

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Journeyman

Russ,
I built a 42" igloo style. I used 3 rolls of the FB blanket. I did a stucco finish: scratch, brown and color coats. I used the first two coat to smooth out the irregularities. With 3 inches of FB blanket the top of my dome is barely above ambient temp when I have a roaring pizza fire in the oven, the oven is 500 degrees in the morning. I haven't had an insulated door made yet, so that is with the opening just covered with stacked bricks.
Enjoy,
Eric
Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Serf

Hi folks,

Thanks for the input from all. Well there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. The past couple of weeks have been a little up and down, but I've managed to make some excellent progress.

Over the weekend I applied the final layer of render to the dome and installed the flue plate to the top of the front arch.

All things going well I will start to cure the oven during the week and into next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010051_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010175_2.jpg   Russ's 42" WFO Project-p1010181_2.jpg  

Russ