Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Round shape

Pea gravel is called for in the plans, right? Is it a bad idea to use pea gravel?
Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Pea gravel is rounded, crushed rock is angular, and is more likely to stay put. For this application I don't think much more than walking on it is required in the way of compaction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Journeyman

Ok- so after I calculated how many bags of concrete (about 50), I looked around for a uhaul concrete trailer place (about 1 yard). I found 2 places somewhat close, one was just a big open non rotating trailer, the other turned as you drove. They were about the same price, just different directions.

My question is about the strength of the concrete compared to using bags.
The uhaul places use a concrete rock mix and then add 5 bags of portland cement, the psi around 2500 after 28 days. The bagged mix says it has a 4000 psi. The price of bags is about the same as a yard of mix from the uhaul places.

-Do I need the 4000 psi with all this weight? I am planing on using lots of rebar and wire for reinforcement.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

Hi MikeD,

If 4000 psi mix is what you'd prefer then ask the supplier to add more Portland, it's only a matter of $. A consideration is set-up time since some concrete is "fast-setting".

My wife and I poured four oven slabs (top and bottom x 2) with the help of our son to lift and load the bags of cement. It really doesn't take long and it was more fun than I anticipated. Make it a family affair or invite some friends over to help. We bought 60 pound bags of 4000 psi at HD and they were easy to handle. We have a 3-bag mixer.

If you're going to cover most of the slab with brick or tile then you don't need to do much trowel work except for the parts that might be viewed. The entire top slab for one of my ovens is completely covered, nothing needed for it except leveling with a screed. The bottom slab has a 24" landing that was floated smooth and then edged. Looking back, the slabs were easy. The hardest part (on my aching back) was bending over to tie all that rebar. After I learned how to wrap the wire even that part became easy.

A good rule to remember when doing concrete work is: "Pour concrete in the morning and finish it in the afternoon". That's been good advice in my experiences working with concrete. If you get started too late then you end up finishing in the dark.

Best of luck,
Old 12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Journeyman

Azpizzanut-

Thanks for the reply.
Is there a special way to tie rebar?
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Journeyman

Hi MikeD,

Here's the method I used. Also, Google for "How to tie rebar".

How To Tie Rebar and Place in Foundation For Concrete Pads | General Remodeling | Howcast.com

Cheers,
Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Journeyman

I got these 3" dobbies but they look a bit tall. Should I have gotten (or return them) the 2" ones. I started to lay out the rebar and with the 3" dobbies the rebar would not be in the middle of the slab (with 2x6 lumber is really 5 1/2 and the ties on the dobbies lifts the rebar up a bit more).

Any thoughts?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try to get in the middle to bottom third of the slab.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How To Tie Rebar and Place in Foundation For Concrete Pads | General Remodeling | Howcast.com

Re-bar placement fail.

The rebar should have been continuous, bent 90 degrees 4 times with one side overlapped.

Take anything you see on u-tube with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Neil2; 12-09-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Journeyman

So I poured the slab over the weekend. It went fairly easy with the help of a few people. I rented a mixer and a got 55 80# bags of concrete. I have 8 left over, but I will use them to fill the blocks (I did not want to run out). Not as hard as I thought it would be. Hopefully everything will set level, the weather here is overcast and is going to rain off and on this week.
-The first pic of the rebar was taken by my 7 year old before the wire sheet was tied in (I forgot to take a picture right before the pour).
-The Oven will have a grill area next to it with a prep area between them, That's why there is a strange shape.

-Do I need to keep it covered with plastic if it is raining?

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-photo-4.jpg   Round shape-photo.jpg   Round shape-concrete-slab.jpg  

Last edited by Mike D; 12-13-2010 at 10:51 AM.