Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Round shape

Too rich = too much Portland cement. The recommended under floor insulation ratio is 5:1. The dome insulation is better at 10:1. This layer is not under compression and only has to support itself to stand up by itself and be firm enough to render over it so a minimal amount of cement is better.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Journeyman

Thanks David-

-I looked back in my old threads and saw that I used a 6 to 1 mix under the oven with 2" ceramic board on top. I will use a 10 to 1 mix on the top.
-I was going to put wire bars/masonary ladder (that people use to connect brick/block together) with a wire mesh to reinforce the vermicucret cap.
-what do you guys think about the sbc or stucco on top?
-Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"-what do you guys think about the sbc or stucco on top?"

It's your choice, the outer shell is only to keep the thing weatherproof. but make sure you eliminate the water from the oven and the vermicrete layer before you do your stucco, otherwise the steam will probably crack the outer shell, regardless of how much reo you put in it. Remember one litre of water = 1000 litres of steam.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Journeyman

Will do on the curing David, thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Journeyman

Can you put normal stucco on top of SBC? I have some left over SBC and was thinking of putting a layer on top of the vermicucrete cap to give it a structural bond, and then finish with a normal stucco for aesthetics. I don't think the SBC looks that nice (you see the little fiberglass pieces).

Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try damp sponge it when you're don. It produces a nice finish.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Journeyman

-Thanks David

I wanted to have a smooth finish (with a metal tool). Will the stucco stick to the SBC okay? The stucco will match the bottom stand finish as well.

Mike
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
-Thanks David

I wanted to have a smooth finish (with a metal tool). Will the stucco stick to the SBC okay? The stucco will match the bottom stand finish as well.

Mike
Stucco will stick
Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Journeyman

Hi Mike
Just going back over your thread looking to steal ideas. I find the enclosure to be the most mentally frustrating part of the oven build. I have yet to see one which I would rush out and copy - which maybe accounts for the huge variety on show, and the fact that I am ground to a halt right now. My inclination now (but this will change again) is to go for an igloo finish.
Yours is interesting and unusual and very well constructed. I have a couple of questions.

This is from a few pages back

Quote:
Ok- so if I put a 3/8" layer of vermicucrete between the outer arch and the decorative brick enclosure, I could still put a mortar seal on the front (outer/showing side).
Did you actually put a layer of vermicrete or did you just use mortar here? If you did, would it have helped prevent a crack spreading to the decorative brick if it had been thicker?

Your vent entry arch is kinda like (a cleaner version of) my own and I was reluctant to cover it with another decorative arch - but also I was worried that it would sponge up rainwater and cause problems. Do you plan on leaving it exposed and did you, or do you plan to, coat it with any kind of weather proofing sealant?

What did you use to clean the bricks btw?

Sorry that's more than a couple. Well done on the work so far and good luck with the rest.
Aidan

Last edited by Amac; 04-16-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Journeyman

Amac- thanks for the look,

-I did put a vermicucrete layer between the arch and the red brick. I don't know if it helped or not, but I think it cracked because of a combination of things. The flew pipe is too close to the red brick so I think that helps heat it up on the back side of the brick faster than in the front.

-I tried to squeeze in a little of high temp mortar into the crack in the front (I don't know if it will do anything, but I thought I would try. I will see what happens when I fire it up again.)

-If I was to build another oven I don't think I would do it like this again. I would probably do some type of igloo with a brick front entry (Kind of like Less or some thing). I might be done by now if I did. Making an original enclosure is like reinventing the wheel (just like the rest of my oven, I hve no idea what I am doing).

-I don't plan on building an enclosure over the oven, I might cover it in the winter with a tarp or something but we don't get that much rain here in California. There are a lot of ovens that have the exposed firebrick in the front, you don't have to cover it.

-And I have not cleaned the bricks yet.

Mike