Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Round shape

Nice job Mike.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Journeyman

Ok- so it has been a wile sense my last post. I have been unable to get much farther in the build, but I did manage to put together the flue. This might have been the hardest thing so far. It took me all day to figure out the angles to cut that flue pipe to make the transition the way I wanted. I hope it works out.

- Here are a few Pictures of the flue and a unmortered look of the brick going on the outside (again, I know, I love to dry-fit everything)

I had a light inside the oven for a wile - with progressive watts to get the thing to slowly dry out. I have been reluctant to start any fires until I do the outer brick cylinder.

-Should I use a high temp mortar for where the red bricks connect to the arch?

-Anyone see any issues with this design?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-flue-outer-brick-1.jpg   Round shape-flue-outer-brick-2.jpg   Round shape-flue-outer-brick-3.jpg   Round shape-flue-outer-brick-4.jpg  
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great-looking entry, Mike! Your flue is quite impressive given the geometry and fit.

I'm wondering, though how much residual heat is going to conduct away from your oven through the entryway and into the brick enclosure. Will you be installing insulation where the entryway arch meets the brick enclosure?
John
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Journeyman

Thanks John,

I have been wondering the same thing about the heat transfer. But isn't that how all the oven work? You have to have some connection to the entry, right? I will be putting tons of insulating blanket over the dome and around the bottom part of the flue, but I don't know how one would make a heat gap around the outer arch.

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Thanks John,

I have been wondering the same thing about the heat transfer. But isn't that how all the oven work? You have to have some connection to the entry, right? I will be putting tons of insulating blanket over the dome and around the bottom part of the flue, but I don't know how one would make a heat gap around the outer arch.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I am at that same point for the outer arch and would love to make it thermaly isolated from the oven. How to do it without having the Pizza get insulation on it from the gap is the tricky part!
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Apprentice

What about rope gaskit used on wood stove doors and the like? You could grind a small channel into the outer arch bricks to hold it in place, but not deep enough to swallow the gaskit such that the inner and outer bricks touch...

Just a thought.

gene
Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I will be putting tons of insulating blanket over the dome and around the bottom part of the flue, but I don't know how one would make a heat gap around the outer arch
I think Gene's gasket idea is a viable approach. Any gap (tscarborough recommends just a 1/4" air gap) will help as a thermal break. I would be inclined to cut the enclosure bricks so they make contact with the entryway just on the exterior surface. This would minimize the size of the thermal bridge and doesn't have to make a perfect seal since no smoke is ever gonna through there.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-outer-arch-gap.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is how I did mine. The outer decorative arch it completely isolated from the gallery, the floor and the dome. I filled the gap with 6:1 vermicrete.
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-p8080037.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Journeyman

The mortar will transfer the heat like the brick will. How is this any different than any other build? An igloo style will be touching the outer arch as well as square brick enclosures, right?

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Journeyman

I was thinking about using a thin layer of vermicurete, but didn't know if that would work.