Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Round shape

You guys are great and fast,

Azpizzanut- thanks for the thought, but I have read the plans many, many times. I have also read tons of posts from start to finish.

The plans just call for the vermiculite layer to be pored after the slab with the same outer framing. But I think every one is on the same page about not putting it under the decorative enclosure. I like the idea of making an island or I guess using the FB insulating board.

I guess I could slightly slope the top toward the back, I was also thinking of putting a small round shape on the top with the stucco so the top would not be completely flat (to not let water pool up).

I tried to make a sketch of the oven with my lame program.
But take a look at Balty Knowles oven here (reply #10)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...ign-12843.html (Warning on Hearth Design)

I live in Berkeley California, I was in Phoenix on vacation (Pizza Bianca is Famous), but still no snow or real cold.

So, extra support? One layer of brick? Should I use cored brick?

Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-round-shape.jpg  

Last edited by Mike D; 11-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
So, extra support? One layer of brick? Should I use cored brick?
I tihnk Extra support depends on the shape and size of the stand and hearth slab, if you do it like Balty's then the decorative enclosure goes all the way to the lower slab, but he must have something else supporting the hearth slab? So in his design I would say "Yes there is extra support"

On layer of bricks and any bricks should be fine a cylinder will make a very strong self supporting structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-dsc_0107.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Journeyman

-Ok

So if I am following the plans on the size of the stand, this is what it might look like with extra support. as in an extra row of 4x8 block on the inside of the stand. If I do this, should I extend this extra support over the front opening of the wood storage area?

Does this make sense?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-brick-setup-2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That does not look like it is needed. Far better to run the 4" across the middle, making it an "H" shape.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Journeyman

Thanks Tscarborough,

The outer cylinder sits mostly on the normal block stand; it didnít seem like the extra support was doing that much when I drew it out. I was thinking of putting some extra support in the middle beforehand. Does this layout make more sense?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Round shape-block-layout-2-1.jpg  
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Journeyman

Ok-

So I am digging the foundation. What type of concrete do we use? Is this just normal stuff at HD, or do I need a high strength type? I was going to use bags and rent a mixer. Not knowing exactly how many bags I will need, and not wanting to run out mid pour, I was going to over buy with the intention of using what I didn't need on the foundation for the hearth slab (will this work?)
-Not to ask the same question twice, but does one use normal concrete for the hearth as well as the foundation?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
but does one use normal concrete for the hearth as well as the foundation?
Yes.
Quote:
I was going to use bags and rent a mixer. Not knowing exactly how many bags I will need, and not wanting to run out mid pour, I was going to over buy with the intention of using what I didn't need on the foundation for the hearth slab (will this work?)
This will work fine. Remember to add your water first when using a concrete mixer.

Here's a little tutorial I did to explain concrete mixer use:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...asics-790.html (Concrete mixer basics)

As far as quantity, Sakrete has a calculator:

Product Calculators | Sakrete
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Journeyman

Hello MikeD,

Go to HomeDepot.com and click on Building Materials. They have a calculator that tells you how many sacks of cement to buy based on the size of the slab X 4 inches. Also, shop for special pricing. When I bought mine they had bags of high strength cement priced same as standard cement.

Cheers,
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Journeyman

For the base pea gravel or crushed rock?

Pea gravel is slightly more expensive but you don't need to compact it. Any other differences?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"For the base pea gravel or crushed rock?"

Use crushed rock. (Sometimes yards have something they call "road mix" or "road base" which is good as well.) What you want is something that is well graded, i.e. that has a mix of different sizes. Pea gravel is all of one size and is generally used for drainage situations not as a structural support.

Last edited by Neil2; 12-01-2010 at 12:14 PM.