Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia

Thanks Utah and Laurentious, will look into the insulating firebrick.

Karangi Dude, funny how you mention fieldfurnace as I go down there tomorrow! Will ask about the 1.00 bricks.

Rickaroonie
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Peasant

Well, after the responses here about the insulating brick, I've decied to use them. Talked the the guys at Field Furnace and they mentioned the cheaper bricks Karangi. The guy said he would spend some time with me going over the different bricks so looking forward to the visit. Getting excited about the build now, especially after viewing your food photo's Karangi. Still, I reckon I could challange you in the cooking department. Although my favorite to cook is Thia and Chinese, I think I'll get the oven down pat pretty quick. Cant wait for the breads!
Will be back from Sydney Friday evening with the bricks, can't wait!

Rickaroonie
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 AM
Laborer

Looking forward to the build, loving the setting too!

Cheers,
Russell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Peasant

Arrived back last night but drove through pooring rain all the way. And with a heavy box trailer, it was slow going the whole way home. Better safe than sorry as I always say. At least everything for the oven is here.

I did get those insulating bricks Karangi. I think for the underfloor, it cost 76 dollars, just over a dollar each. Pretty happy with that.

Because of the rain, nothing will be getting done for awhile now, DOH!!

I'm going to check out your link Oz, about the brick laying as I want to cover the besser blocks with brick. Thanks for that.

Rickaroonie
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Peasant

It really got wet. Finally the rains gave way to better weather and I was able to continue some progress. Built the formwork for the final slab and two friends helped with the concrete mixing. Sure save my back. Not as young and fit as I used to be.

I put in extra steel bar in this slab and made it 130mm thick. I think from reading here that it is wise to wait a week before building oven? Is that correct? I haven't removed the formwork from underneath the slab and will wait a week for that.

One of the photos shows a footing with bars sticking out. Pay no attention to that. It has nothing to do with the oven. But has to be done now so I can backfill and make the oven build easier. Otherwise the slab hieght is at eye level! A concrete pier now go's onto that footing.

I bagged the bottom half so I can water proof before backfilliing. Might get that done tomorrow. There will also be an ag drain just below the top edge of the bottom slab and backfilled with clean gravel to keep underground water away from structure. Notice I even beveled mortor just at the base. Overkill? Probably,but I can't help it.

Ok, back to it!!

Rickaroonie
Attached Thumbnails
Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2850.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2857.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2856.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2866.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2865.jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Peasant

Well I've only gotten as far as putting the oven floor down. There the tiles at 300 by 300 by 75 so there pretty heavy to move around and cut. Was very sore at end of day. Not sure when I can get back into it as work and other commitments are taking priority.
Photo's attached so far.

Rickaroonie
Attached Thumbnails
Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2879.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2882.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2883.jpg   Rickaroonie's 42 in build in Coomba Bay Australia-dscf2886.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Where are you using the insulators, the reds dont from here look like they are?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hope they are insulating fire bricks. They have a tongue and groove joint like many insulating bricks, but this is the first time I've ever seen red ones.

Insulating fire bricks are usually designed for high temperature applications and therefore have a very low iron content (red)

Last edited by david s; 03-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

From here they look like wire cut red clay bricks.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Peasant

They are insulating brick, the ones Karnagi told me about. They're super light compared to a regular brick. They were more pink when I purchased them but turned red after getting wet from rain.

From the photo showing the oven floor over the insulting brick, I'll be starting the soldier course directly on the insulating brick.

The concern is appreciated guys.

Rickaroonie