Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Recommended changes

Yes, please do include metric measurements! That would help a lot.

One thing I noticed is that on the firbrick primer page there is no mention of the bricks' dimensions. Required number, weight, alumina content is there, but if you live in a country where there is no such thing as a standard firebrick size, you still don't know what you're looking for.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Recommended changes (Page 59)

Hello James,
new on the forum, just downloaded the instructions ang going through them...
On page 59 Ver. 1.2 of the book under Material List 36" Oven
it states:
(8) 10' lenghts of 1/2" rebar, (4) cut to 80"; (4) cut to 94"
the rebars are for the grid foundation...if the foundation is 71"x80" how come the rebars are longer? Am I missing something? thanks Carlo
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Recommended changes pg 58

On the Material list for a 42" oven for the insulating hearth listed is
(4)2"x6"x8' wood studs - i believe this should read 2"x8".

3.5 inches for concrete and 4 inches for vermiculite layer. on page 23 2x8 are referenced so it just needs to be changed on the material list.

It is a minor change but when you are first undertaking this project it is a little overwhelming, especially if this is the first time you have ever poured concrete .

Thanks ,
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Apprentice

I saw a small indescrepency in the plans that might warrent a change.

The able that lists the "Oven Chamber and Opening" on the top of page 13 has different figures than the one on page 31. The interior heights for the High Vault are different. for both 42" and 36".

Any suggestions or preferences over the two listed?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

BOOKMARKS!!! They are so easy to add to a PDF it's ridiculous.. please add them.. and I'm not just saying this because I work at Adobe.. I don't know how many times I've had to punch in a page number after looking at the index to see where I want to go..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am thinking we will take a moment in the fall to update the Pompeii Oven eBook to 1.3. If all goes well, we can make the changes recommended above, add some new photos from recent builders, add metric and yes, bookmarks.

We can do the metric measurements to celebrate the new Forno Bravo UK and our UK web site -- Forno Bravo UK | Italian Pizza Ovens in the UK. :-)

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Serf

Not sure if this is the right place for this since the plans I have are version 2.0. But...

On page 13, there is a table describing the logic behind the stand dimensions for 42" and 36" domes. Then there is a table summarizing the derived foundation and block stand dimensions.

Then in Appendix 1, Materials and tools list, the foundation and stand dimensions are larger for both the 36" and 42" dome.

I haven't built anything yet, but the logic on page 13 seems sound. I do not understand the increased sizes in Appendix 1. Perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks. Great forum and website.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Remove the lime from the calcium aluminate mortar recipe.recipe
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Serf

Location: Spicewood TX. Home of Willie Nelson! (our neighbor)

Really stress the herringbone floor. I almost didn't do it but am soo glad I took the time and just pulled the trigger and did it. It makes using tools so much easier in the oven (peels, cleaning) but in my case, it matches our floors in our house. They are from a little town you may know James, Imprunetta. They are true Sannini coto floors again laid in a herringbone pattern. Very authentic Tuscan house. Anyway, just a suggestion. Those that one to be authentic need to just do it right! Pics of our place on our blog at www.PoggioSecco.com. We GC'd our project plus designed it too.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Engineering terms and material descriptions vary all over the world and even within countries. It is expecting a lot to ask Forno Bravo to coordinate all this.

Even on this forum, people use the term "cement" when they mean "concrete".