Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Question about vent

I think there is enough info here to support the Pompeii over the Scott for pizza applications. Once you choose, a whole new world of variables opens up.. The Pompeii oven, in my opinion is at the cutting edge of pizza oven technology. Having the world pre make your mistakes and innovations for you, in real time is a luxury one does not encounter in many endeavors.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Skinning cats....Two of the three ovens that I posted from the cave city did not even use any vents. The one had a very high dome that I was told helped store heat for cooking bread....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Laborer

Marcel,

I'm down in S. Florida.. I've updated my profile to reflect that...

Regarding the notion of starting the fire at the front of the oven, under the vent, or using a handheld piece of newspaper, some of this information is over on other websites and I found some here as well, but doing a forum search with the term "draw"... It was not I that came up with the idea.. Here are a couple links:

Here's some from http://www.rumford.com/oven/oven36.html:

"To build a fire start with a small kindling fire in the front of the oven under the flue. Add wood when the fire is burning well, and gradually move the fire back into the oven. Use the oven door (when you are not adding wood) placed out near the front of the entrance tunnel to keep heat in the oven but not block the flue while the fire is burning."

I've attached an image that is used on their site to illustrate the process... Their site credits Alan Scott with the photo.

Here's another:
On page 196 of Daniel Wing & Alan Scott's book, the breadbuilders: "... set a small fire of crumpled paper and split softwood just inside the doorway. Add larger pieces as the wood catches, pushing the starter fire gradually about one third of the way back into the oven. ... You want to get a nice draft started up the chimney... when the fire and chimney draft are going well, add the bulk of the wood"

Here's a link I found here on fornobravo, credit goes to aeneas1:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/16/h...=draw#post7572 (How much soot?) :

"when my fireman friend saw this he rolled up a piece of newspaper tightly, lit it on fire, and once it had a good-sized flame going he held it up to the flue/chimney opening - after a few seconds of him doing this you could actually hear the air being sucked up the chimney, like a wind tunnel, and along with the air the smoke from the rolled up newspaper. once the chimney was "primed" none, and i mean none, of the smoke of my fire(s) even came close to lapping out the front of my oven. it was as if it didn't have a chance once it neared the strong draft started by the rolled-up newspaper."

If you poke around, there are more discussions on this. The idea of heating up the flue prior to getting a good fire going is not new. Building a starter fire close to the vent will promote this. That's why I think the Neapolitan ovens put their flue over the top of the dome.. Due to their vent design, they cannot build a fire out on the landing with their external/open vent. Running the flue over the dome helps to heat it up and thus promotes a better draw... That's my theory anyway..

By the way, I agree with redbricknick's last sentence in his post above wholeheartedly...
Attached Thumbnails
Question about vent-ovenfire.gif  

Last edited by johnrbek; 02-19-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Thanks for quotes, location, and great images!

(M) Hi, John,

(M) Your most recent post quotes two of my previous readings and, IMHO, should be required reading for all "Newbies". I own Daniel Wing & Alan Scott's book, "The Breadbuilders" and will look again at page 196.

(M) The sketches are wonderfully unambiguous and apply perfectly to my oven.

(M) South Florida as your home should not precipitate any queries about frost heave. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for all.

(M) If, as it seems, you are just beginning to make building decisions, I'd like to proselytize and direct you to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/c...rtant+decision (A critical first decision)

"A Critical First Decision"

(M) If you want to see my 90+ images of my build, go to:

marceld - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(M) but be aware that I discarded certain illustrated approaches, e.g. split ridge beam, all clay flue tiles, etc., as I gathered good advice on this forum.

Ciao,

Marcel