Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

your decisions will be made on how you build your vent transition from the oven opening to the chimney base.
Mine was made so easily with a large rectangular area (don't make the mistake of having a slot to catch the smoke), which then funnels the smoke into the bottom of an 8" chimney. The smoke is hot and heads directly up the funnel and into the chimney without interference. The hotter the smoke and gasses are, the better it works with no smoke coming out of the front arch even when pushed with a leaf blower (except when aimed at the fire base and run full chat).
Even to get a welder to cut/fold and stitch the bits together will pay dividends!!!!
I have made several for local builders and Hendo's oven.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

The vent and chimney are some of the easier part, so don't worry, you'll be fine. My brother built an oven about a year before me and it was beautiful. Mine didn't have all the perfect cuts like his but when I put my shell up around it, nobody could tell. His actually got a few cracks (nothing to worry about) and mine didn't. I actually used as close to full brick as I could for the keystone at the top. He peiced it all the way up to the top and that is where his cracked a little and also at the arch, the two places the heat seems to be the hottest. None of that matters because both of our ovens work great and will probably outlast a nuclear holocost.
Here is a pic at the acrh and a couple of the top. I only attach them so you can see I was not perfect but my oven works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_20110519_192744-1-.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_20110602_194857-1-.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_20110603_101926.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_20110607_145105-1-.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_20110607_145021-1-.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

Neill, I wish I had the money to go all out like that and have a welder build something for me, but unfortunately I do not. Pretty much every idea for my oven has been "borrowed" from everyone else on this site and most of the pictures I've saved have been of the vent and chimney area. I'm hoping I make the right decision on the design. I will post some pictures I've saved for you guys to see and maybe you can point me in the right direction as to which one will work best for my oven. I guess this thread has unofficially become my oven build post, so I will continue to welcome any hints, tips, or criticism that you guys have for me.

Barry, thanks for leaving the pics for me to see. I hope my oven turns out looking great, but more importantly as I have stated before, I just want it to perform well and hopefully outlast me.

Here's where I'm at today. Just finished my 3rd course and will be on to the 4th tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2618.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2619.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2622.jpg