Old 07-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

Ok, going back to what Barry was saying, I tried to taper my arch brick to get it smaller at the bottom, but I realize since I only have a 7" blade, it's not going to work. Can someone tell me if this configuration will work? I've seen plenty of people's houses with an archway that doesn't have a true keystone, but I don't know if that will work for my oven.

Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2608.jpg  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you use the proper mortar, sure, it will work.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the quick reply. I am just finished my 2nd course today so I am going to attempt the dome arch tomorrow. Hopefully it will stay in place!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

Santino,
Quote:
I tried to taper my arch brick to get it smaller at the bottom, but I realize since I only have a 7" blade, it's not going to work.
Mark your bricks accurately and cut as deep as your blade will go from the front. You should then be able to use a brick bolster (wide cold/brick chisel) to break the brick along your saw cut. You could also make a second cut from the back but may nt be necessary.If the back of the cut is rough, it won't be seen and will be filled with your mortar.
Accuracy in marking and cutting will make the difference between an average or professional job so spend that extra effort to get your front arch looking sweet.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Laborer

Neill, here is what it looked like after I tried cutting earlier today. I marked a line from 1/2" in on one end and then took it the corner of the brick on the opposite side. As you can see, since I only drew the line on one side, the cut was not very accurate. The 2nd pic shows how much space is in between cuts where the blade can't reach. Are you suggesting to put a chisel in the cut and break it off and then cut off the part of the brick that is still there?

Cutting the bricks has been a challenging part of the build. The 7" blade was $15. The 10" blade was $70+, which didn't make a lot of sense to me. So it has been very difficult to cut because I end up having to do everything not only twice, but blindly, trying to match up the blade with the pencil line on top.

While I have some people looking at this thread that have been there, done that, how do my first 2 courses look?
Attached Thumbnails
Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2602.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2606.jpg   Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2599.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Laborer

Here's the finished product on the arch. What do you guys think? I know the mortar joints are wider than you probably prefer but it's standing and seems pretty strong...
Attached Thumbnails
Question about gaps in mortar joints-img_2616.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Your arch looks great. Don't obsess about perfect fit bricks.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Question about gaps in mortar joints

Santino,
this arch is into your oven and 90% of the brick that you see in the photos will be covered with your chimney void and entrance bricks.
Cutting the bricks that will be plainly visible of the front of your Pompeii can be cut accurately and you will probably need 1 or 2 more bricks to complete the arch when compared to the one in your photos.
Quote:
Here's the finished product on the arch. What do you guys think?
This is fine, your next one will be better and you will be much more contented with the outcome. Anyway, it is only cosmetic and doesn't affect the oven's performance at all.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Laborer

Looks good. It doesn't need to be perfect. You want the best fit possible, but it desn't have to interlock like puzzle pieces.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Laborer

Thanks guys for the reassurance. Even though I am totally new to this, I am a perfectionist, so I want things to look aesthetically as good as possible. But the real reason I am asking for feedback is because I just want to make sure that structurally, everything looks strong. I am a foodie at heart so I am more concerned that my oven will work and be here for the long haul, not that it looks perfect, although that is what I'm striving for. I don't have any experience building anything and I have no one here to help me so you guys are my best resource, and I thank you very much for all your advice. Hopefully you won't mind if I ask several more questions throughout. I am definitely intimidated by the vent/chimney area and once I get there I know I will have a lot of questions.