Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pompeii in Progress...

Agreed, I've given it more thought. I'll work around it. Thanks. One more question before I get going again... My cooking surface is not perfectly level. I bought the FB board and really wasn't thrilled. Each board was a differnt thickness, some corners were roughed up, and density was also inconsistant. So, I had to use a thicker amount of sand/fireclay to offset the uneveness. My firebrick is also inconsistantly shaped. Thickness varies from end to end and the sides are a little uneven as well. Leveling was an issue. After finishing the cooking floor some areas of the floor are higher/lower than others. A peel doesn't seem like it will really catch in anyone spot, but just generally concerned that I should redo it. Frusrtated to say the least, but just want to do this right. Basically there is a gradual slope, the left and right side sit a bit higher than the center. Not sure how this will affect the cooking or dome constructing. The bricks are sunk in pretty good, tough to lift out of place. Can I sand down the high spots? And is too much sand/fireclay underneath an issue. If I did sand the high spots I'm worried about losing thermal mass in the floor. As always thanks for the input.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Many of us have used a belt sander or grinder to level the hearth bricks with great success. Both kick up a lot of dust...wear a mask. If using a grinder, be extra carefull, its easy to grind too much. A couple of members have been told that sanding or grinding the fired face of a firebrick could lead to pitting but I've been using my oven for 3 yrs and can't see any ill effects to my sanding the entire surface smooth as a baby's bottom.

As for losing thermal mass, I have to ask - how far out of whack is your hearth? If it is more than 1/16 - 1/8" you might want to start over.
Whether you use sand, fireclay, or refractory mortar - you just want enough to level the surface and hold the bricks in place while building the dome...not set them firm in a thick bed of mortar like floor tile or a block wall.

RT
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think I would only grind it if you find that, once in use, it is giving you trouble...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Serf

No, it's not that severe. My hearth was great. The FB boards I recieved varied at least 1/8" and my some bricks over 1/16" from one end to the other. Just made the process a little more difficult. The boards were too absorbent to use the fireclay/sand wet, and the mixture wasn't firm enough to use dry. I ended up laying aluminum foil down as a moisture barrier from the FB board, which worked, but just wasn't fully satisfied with the end result. I might just be splittin hairs though. I'll give it a run before I start sanding it down.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Serf

I'm on starting the 5th course this week. I am happy so far; plan on posting progress pics soon. Can I ask what the average heigth of the cooking surface is from the ground. I think I wish mine was few inches taller, standing 45". I was also wondering about the heat loss horizontally from the cooking floor. I built my dome on top of uncut bricks and in a couple areas there is almost a full brick on the outside of the dome. Would it be wise to go back and cut them back closer to the dome?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven is 42.75" to the oven floor. It also sits back a bit: the oven door at the reveal (inner arch) is 21" from the my block stand. I'll be adding a counter overhang of 4" so I'll have approx a 2' reach to get into my oven.
I'm 5-11" and long-armed and I'm fine with 42.75". I might have gone for a slightly taller oven (1"-1.5" more-maybe) but then shorter persons would have to build the fire closer to the oven opening since it would be harder to tend the fire in the middle. But that's for my 42" oven, I don't know if yours is smaller.

You left your floor bricks whole and sticking out? I think it just means you have to put your insulation blanket around it too. Maybe others can tell you what to do.

Can't wait to see your pics! -Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Serf

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I may like it taller, but it is good for an average heigth. I didn't leave whole bricks, a couple that are 3/4 brick that stick out. I poured the vermiculite/portland around the outside of the cooking floor as I plan to stone finish the surface and wanted side insulation I could veneer over. So it will still be insulated around I just figured that's further distance heat can travel away from the cooking surface. I'll probably just cut it back tighter to the dome. Thanks again
Old 07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

To retain the most heat, I would wrap it in three blankets. Some on the Forum have been able to bake bread 48hrs after the last fire. You can not use too much insullation on the dome. Wrap that wrascal.

Click to see my Thread:

Click to see Google web album:

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Serf

That's the plan to seriously wrap it up. I've got some progress pics. I finished my 8th course. I haven't used forms yet but I think it is time. Not sure exactly what method I'm using; they're are some great ones on the forum. My oven is 48" in diameter and should finish up about 18" tall in the center. The entrance opening is 20" wide by just under 12" high. Thanks for the ongoing support. It has helped a great deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii in Progress...-keep-wet.jpg   Pompeii in Progress...-arch.jpg   Pompeii in Progress...-current.jpg   Pompeii in Progress...-inside-bricks.jpg   Pompeii in Progress...-italian-builder....jpg  

Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wide and Low Dome...me like!
A 48" dome is huge. I'm jealous. Your brick work looks great. Nice joints and consistent cuts. Your oven looks like it's inside a room. Do you have to vent it out or will not be an issue?
Great shot of you sticking out of the oven. Really funny. Thanks for posting. Nice build, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread