Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Pompeii oven versus premio2G100 (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/pompeii-oven-versus-premio2g100-19793.html)

Grego 08-15-2013 03:32 PM

Pompeii oven versus premio2G100

Can someone please help me decide why I would build a pompeii oven versus putting in a prefabricated premi2G100 or similar type oven. What are the advantages and disadvantages over the other?
I am looking for a long lasting oven as I am spending a lot to make very nice and expensive rock design. Not sure what the life span is of the ovens? will use about 2 times per week. I would hate to think of having to replace the oven after 10-15 years?
Also would one cook better? Or are they pretty similar? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I am in the beginning stages, the hard part, of deciding which oven to put in. An all brick oven sound good!
Thanks for your help!

GarnerAC 08-26-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Pompeii oven versus premio2G100

I went through the same thought process. I think it boils down to the build. Its like taking a road trip to somewhere you really want to go. It's about THE JOURNEY as well as getting to the destination. When i saw what these guys were doing, i just had to do it too. Im a project oriented guy and I havent had a good one in a while so this jumped right at me. Nothing wrong at all about buying one already made though!

Les 08-26-2013 07:16 PM

I second what Garner said. I was looking for a kit when I found this site. Fell in love with the idea of making my own from scratch. The FB kits will serve you just as well if you don't want to invest the time and labor.

Grego 08-26-2013 09:23 PM

Finally a reply, two! Thanks for reading through the threads to find mine my question. I do not have the the time to make a commitment to do it my self, so I am now hoping to install the premio2G110. I hope it is as good.

GarnerAC 08-27-2013 05:15 AM

Im sure it will be fine. I'd get the biggest one you can. You never hear anyone say " Man, I wish my __________ had less space"!

david s 08-27-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnerAC (Post 160432)
Im sure it will be fine. I'd get the biggest one you can. You never hear anyone say " Man, I wish my __________ had less space"!

But you do hear people say "I'm not going to fire up my big oven just to cook two pizzas"
Bigger oven bigger fuel consumption. Fuel consumption is directly proportional to oven volume.

Les 08-27-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 160499)
Fuel consumption is directly proportional to oven volume.

David - this is America, we invented global warming. ;)

david s 08-28-2013 03:05 AM

I've never paid for a stick of wood and don't intend to in the future.

cobblerdave 08-28-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnerAC (Post 160432)

Gudday
Sorry to say it but I wish my oven was smaller now that my boys are gone.
I still have people over but it can be a pain to flash up just for me and the child bride. I love my oven but I do have to face facts
Regards dave

GarnerAC 08-28-2013 03:53 PM

Sounds like time for oven #2!