Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Pompeii Oven with two openings??? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/pompeii-oven-two-openings-18439.html)

Piet Pompeii 10-01-2012 09:39 AM

Pompeii Oven with two openings- 42" Gemello

I'm looking for some advice:

We're building a kitchen, and plan to install a 42" Pompeii oven based on the Forno Bravo plans.

To save space the oven will straddle an exterior wall, with half outside and half inside the building.

My question is this:
Would it be possible to build two openings to the oven? One to service the outside entertainment area, and the other the kitchen.
Each opening would have its own chimney.
Each chimney would have a damper to seal it off.
We would only use one opening at a time.
Care would be taken to have snug-fitting doors, well insulated.
If this is possible, it will make the oven so much more useful!

I look forward to your comments.

Many thanks,

Jadon Allen

Piet Pompeii 10-01-2012 10:49 PM

Re: Pompeii Oven with two openings???

To make my question a bit clearer:
I have no doubt that it is physically possible to build, but my concerns relate to how the heat retention properties of the oven may be affected.

Thanks.

david s 10-01-2012 10:50 PM

Yes, I"m sure it would work. Many kilns are built with dual entry ports and actually achieve better circulation because of it. I think it would probably work with both doors open, but if you have the facility to close either doors or flues you could easily experiment around. The downside will be that the oven probably won't hold heat as well as its single doored cousin, but the advantages may well outweigh that problem.
It could be a handy entry point for a burglar!

Piet Pompeii 10-01-2012 11:03 PM

Thanks David.
That's a very valid point regarding the burglar access! I never even thought of that. I would have to make the outside door lockable...
Or keep the fire cooking hot!

trapper 10-02-2012 12:33 PM

An additional advantage I see is that you would only have to load the oven with wood from the outside opening, thus keeping all the mess associated with storing and handling firewood outside.;)

Don't forget to post picks of the build.

Bookemdanno 10-02-2012 01:58 PM

Make the doors heavy, and maybe from castable refactory cement, then they are simply a brick door. Insulate them well with similar layers to the oven, and off you go!

david s 10-02-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookemdanno (Post 139584)
Make the doors heavy, and maybe from castable refactory cement, then they are simply a brick door. Insulate them well with similar layers to the oven, and off you go!

Impractical.You'd need a forklift to remove or place the door.Dense castable refractory is the same density as concrete.

RTflorida 10-02-2012 09:42 PM

I am glad to see someone is seriously considering the dual opening. For a VERY brief moment I had the idea early on. One quick explanation to my wife that she would be loosing her dining room to a pizza prep area and the bay window overlooking the pool would be a masonry oven and she pointed to the back yard. I think I also struck a nerve about how the flue would have to be cut though the existing finished lanai roof. She didn't say word, just shook her head and pointed to the yard.

I hope you make a go of it, I may have a chance to try if someone steps up with a good build first.

RT

Piet Pompeii 10-02-2012 10:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

RT, I know just what you are talking about! Shake of the head and point. Game over.

(Terminology may be incorrect:)
At this point my main concern is whether the thermal mass (ability to retain heat) of the oven will be compromised by having two openings.
I am pretty sure a well insulated fairly light-weight door could be made, so I don't think insulation is an issue.

I also doubt that I'll juggle between doors too much, using the outdoor one in the summer and the inside one during the colder seasons, so if the closed door is a bit heavy this may not be a problem.
Having said that, I am hoping the oven will work with normal steel doors, allowing us to make the fire and clean the oven from the outside, even if we are cooking inside.

Anyone prepared to put their head on a block and make the call? There must be ways to increase the thermal mass if this will be necessary.

If the oven does turn out to be a failure, surely I can then just brick up one of the openings?

Cheers!

Piet Pompeii 10-04-2012 05:35 AM

http://imageshack.us/a/img31/6748/foundations.jpg

Here's a pic of the foundations. The main wall runs through the middle as you can see.
(Don't panic about the shape, the area of the circle can fit the oven and vent landings.)