Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Oven with two openings???

Gudday
I have seen an WFO with 2 entrances in operation too. It was at the Brisbane show and it was inside a building. It was mounted on a trailer so it was a fair size 4' to 5' foot so you expext the oven was at least 42". The entrance I could see at the front was wide and a lot lower than you would have expected for the size of the oven even if it had a very low dome. And it had no chimney! When I bent down and looked in the inside of the oven there was an other open entrance at the back and I'm betting that one would have been the 63 per cent high. The rear of the oven was hidden as they had some set up to remove the smoke. I asked the operater about the two entrance and she said the smaller door was blocked when the oven was out in the open air and a chimney fitted to the larger.
Sorry I have little more details to tell you but I though you might be interested the difference in entrance heights and the lack of chimney on the smaller. Lots of commercial ovens like the old bread ovens have no chimney at the entrance and an internal chimney entrance set at the "63" per cent of dome height

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I guess all the smoke will tend to want to exit out the higher door, leaving the lower door smoke free and allow the operator closer access to the inner oven for easier operation with shorter handled tools etc. Clever.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Apprentice

I still think a castable door will work.
Its going to be, what, 12" x 19" x4" and not opened and closed continually, more of a removable bung. Maybe even split the layers, a castable bung to replace the oven wall and keep thermal mass, then a insualtion bung, with a lockable outer shell for security.
It seems as it'll be a seasonal requirement. Two study handles cast into the refactory will provide the means to remove it. I'd mock up a section and cast it with concreting sand to give an idea of weight, etc. You look like you have plenty of building materials handy?
If you wanted a lightweight door, a usual metal, insulation, wood composite will do, but thermal mass is reduced. You'll need weight for that.
You'll always end up with a compromise, as you're attempting a radical design change.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Piet Pompeii

"You'll always end up with a compromise, as you're attempting a radical design change."

This is what scares me. These ovens are a heck of a lot of work.
I don't want to be an idiot and try something that is a total waste of time and money due to a intrinsically flawed design.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
All ovens are different like their owners . I have cooked ... No rather helped cook in a few different ovens and their owners are the resident experts. You get used to your own. I myself don't think your going to have any trouble with loss of mass an opening represents only a small amount. The only trouble is if you fail to insulate ....all the non performing ovens you hear about on the forum the problem is lack of insulation not lack of mass

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Apprentice

Things have to be challenged to prove the design. You will succeed if you want to!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Apprentice

The first thought I had when I read this thread, was to have two external openings and one internal opening, achieving this by having the main oven on a turntable arrangement and rotating to whichever side you wish to operate on.!!

Now theres a challenge.

Cheers
Craig
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Apprentice

Now that sounds like the sort of challenge i'd love to attempt!!!

Nice metalwork base, with a ball race, very insulated base layer onto this and then build up the oven.

The oven insulation layers would take a bit of thought, but a simple air gap between the oven and then insulating bricks built into a cylindrical form might just do it.

Chimney style would be awkward, but maybe metal fab'd vents folding back to an inverted Y collector, placed at the ovens Top Dead Centre.

The more i roll this one around in my head, the better it seems to be!

Someone please take this one on!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Piet Pompeii

Wow! A rotating oven! What an idea!

But completely beyond my skills and intelligence. Based on the replies and advice received here, I intend to proceed with a dual opening oven.
With a cast bung and maybe different height chimney openings, I am sure it will work.

Gemello is Italian for twin.

I shall call it the 42" Gemello, and we will cook pizza and drink wine and shout and laugh.

Thanks a lot for all your help so far. Keep it coming.

Best regards,

Jadon Allen
thak4 likes this.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Piet Pompeii

Taking shape, showing the under-slab storage compartment for inside and outside sections.