Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pompeii Oven Insulation

A question for the team! I'll be insulating my dome very shortly. Is it possible to use the same perlite/cement mix which I used under the oven floor, say 3" thick? Rather than the blanket insulation? Many thanks to the Forum for lots of good information!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, although 4" would be better.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Serf

On the dome for insulation, I plan to use 4" of perlite/cement mix applied to the exterior of the fire brick with 2" (+) of concrete (sakrete) on top of the perlite/cement mix. I thought I'd add a handful of "weep" holes (short pieces of galvanized conduit sloped down so as to not collect water, these weeps actually could be sealed at some time in the future) around the bottom perimeter of the dome to allow any moisture to escape from (allowing the system to breathe) the perlite/cement, etc. I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments or experiences!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you want to use perlcrete as your insulation do not go as rich as 5:1 because the cement reduces the insulation value. You only need enough to make it hold together.i find 10:1 works pretty well, but some members have used as low as 13:1. I have also found a mixture 50/50 of vermiculite, perlite works way better than either of them alone, I have no reason why. For any given volume of either perlite or vermiculite you need to add about a third of that volume in water to achieve the correct consistency. Also it is a good idea IMO to do the stuff in layers of around 1" and allow each layer around a week to dry because there is tons of water in a 4" layer of perlcrete to eliminate. I think your idea of little weep holes is a good one, because with such a thick layer of vermicrete the stuff can pick up a lot of moisture and after torrential rain and no oven use the recondensation of water inside the outer shell is considerable and it runs down the inside and gets quite wet around the base. A vent at the apex is also of benefit IMO. No amount of waterproofing the outside, apart from building an expensive roof, can prevent the vermiculite of perlite from picking up moisture.

Last edited by david s; 10-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Tags
ceramic blanket, insulation, kaowool, vermiculite