Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Pompeii Oven Insulation

The trouble with putting insulation over the 3 inch layer is that it is isolated from the internal brickwork, so any heat sitting making its way to this layer will not be usable.

See what other people think before hacking it off, as others may disagree!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't think you should do anything drastic and make changes. Why not continue to fire the beast and see how it works. It will take around 10 decent fires before you have really purged it of moisture. See how it performs. You might find that it does not hold heat as well as it may, but do you need to have it retain cooking temp for the next few days? You can always get into it with a bit more fire. Breaking up the outer shell to add more insulation then redoing the outer shell is a lot of extra work.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Serf

Hi guys,

As you say David i'm going to see how it goes. Only way to be sure. As long as it stays hot for a few hours i'm happy. Will let you know how it performs.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubazineti View Post
As long as it stays hot for a few hours i'm happy.

For the same money it should stay hot for days, not hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Serf

What happened with the fire? I have exactly the same problem. Built my pizza oven from scratch, done a big one with fire bricks for the floor on vermiculite mixed with mortar sitting on PU insulation. Clay bricks for the dome, with just one inch of ceramic insulation covering it. Then chicken wire and around 1" of mortar to a nice smooth finish. Just lit my first fire today, kept it going for about half an hour then let it die out. I could barely touch the dome it was so hot! By the time i come to have a proper fire in there I could be using the dome for frying eggs on. Thinking about it at length, I think for the purpose it was built (cooking lots of pizzas) it will be fine, I will just have to have a bit of flame going on I think to keep the heat in there. If I want it to stay hot for days though, I think I would cut some 2" x 1" timber every few inches almost all the way through, and fix this over the dome (like rafters) Then stretch some Multi layer silver insulation (Tri Iso Super 10 or TLX silver) over the battens, then fix more battens over the TLX insulation. Then hardboard, then chicken wire and more render to finish. A bit of a rigmarole, and I could kick myself I didn't do it right to start with, but there you go, I have come too far to not do it right!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturoofer View Post
I could barely touch the dome it was so hot!
Its the moisture coming out, it should be cooler to touch when its dried out properly

Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"vermiculite mixed with mortar"

Don't do this.

Mix the vermiculite (or perlite) with portland cement only. Mortar contains sands which will fill the pores, greatly reducing the insulation value.

"I could barely touch the dome it was so hot!"

As Al notes, this is common when curing or re-curing a dome. It is likely going to be steam build up. After several firings, the insulation layer will dry out and the outside should be cool to the touch. You can aid the drying out process by cutting a small (1 inch or so) vent through the mortar/render at the apex of the dome.

You need some patience at this stage. Try it for a while before ripping off the finish and adding insulation.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Serf

Thanks, yes I will have 6 or 7 fires to get it up to temp and then try cooking on it. It may be okay, but with only 1" of insulation I doubt it somehow. As I said though, should be fine for pizzas, espeically if there is some flame?
Thanks again
Stuart
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is preferable to drive out the water before creating the outer shell, however as you've already done it just keep firing and it should dry out and perform much better. Moist insulation does not work too well and lots of it will just recondensing on the inside of the outer shell, but it will eventually find its way out and your oven should be then only warm to the touch on the outside, not hot.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Serf

So i've had probably 10 fires now. Ended up doubling the chimney width and depth to about 6"x 8" iron rectangle and about 1m height which works a treat. Just sucks the smoke out.

When the firebricks are soaked there is a perceptible warmth over the top 2/3rds of the dome and warm to hot on the top behind the chimney and over the entrance.
For cooking a batch of pizzas, bread, cake it's fine. Everyone is full long before the temperature drops. However if I hadn't put so much fireclay over the insulation I would have added at least another inch of insulation or for the same money 4"of vermiculite for peace of mind. However the only person this bothers seems to be me.
Definitely steer clear of the Kaowool S and go for the Cerachem 1430 as It's noticeably cooler.

Tags
ceramic blanket, insulation, kaowool, vermiculite