Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pompeii Oven floor from Forno Bravo

Thanks Mike. Its nice to hear from someone so near. I downloaded the plans already. I'm not sure if I am going to start this fall or not, I want to, but may wait until spring. I keep reading different threads on the site, man, there are a lot, and this site just seems to scream 'friendly, knowledgeable, people'. I'll let you know when I get started. Thanks again.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Serf

Default Insulation below the floor

Hello out there,
I am trying to keep my pizza oven foundation at 36" high so that it flows seamlessly into the adjacent counter, however the insulating concrete layer will boost it up 2" too high. Can the insulating concrete layer remain just under the igloo dome (and entry?) or does it need to extend out to the edges of my base. The base is 60" x 60" square and I am going for a 42" dome.
Thanks,
Connie
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM

Five feet square may be small for a 42 inch oven. That's the size of my base for a 36, and my edges are closer to the wall than is ideal. Have you laid this out? Are you planning exterior walls or an igloo out to the edge?

And no, you don't need any insulation past the brick floor.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Master Builder

Connie, I agree with dmun.

Layout a mock of the oven and review the plans carefully. The 42 inches is internal diameter. You will also need 9 inches for wall thickness (4.5" x 2), plus approx. 6-10 inches for insulation (either 3 inches of blanket or 5 inches of vermiculite. This is the side to side dimensions. The front to back will need more room, to account for vent and landing. You may want to refer to
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...earth-657.html (Measuring your Hearth)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Serf

Hello mfiore,
I'm sorry I am confusing you with my description. I was shooting for approx. 36" internal diameter, 42"-45" outer diameter. My base is 60" x 60" square. I would like the area outside of my igloo to be at 36" counter height. So, my question is:

Can I pour the 4" insulated concrete layer under the igloo area, and not extend it to the outer edges of my 60" x 60" square foundation?

I hope I am making some sense here. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Master Builder

Yes, you can put the insulation just under the igloo. Be sure it is under any part that gets hot (dome walls, floor, landing, etc.). This is what is done if you use an insulation board rather than the vermiculite/concrete.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Serf

Thank you so much. I thought that this made sense, but I couldn't find anything in the directions or postings about it.
Best Wishes,
Connie
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Peasant

does anyone know if you can cut these tiles to fit a casa oven?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tommy,

Anything can be cut if you have the proper blade, refractory materials are pretty easy (compared to something like porcelain).

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Serf

I found a supplier in the San Francisco Bay Area that has 24" X 36" X 3" firebrick tiles at $81 per. I am considering using them for my oven floor to minimize the number of seams. I'm not sure how I will be able to cut them to fit and set them up for diagonal seams. I like the look of them though.