Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Arch/Door Header bricks

Paul,

Can you post more details on the arch bricks. I think a lot of people would be interested in using a preformed arch brick for their oven opening and for framing the vent arch. The tight brick arch is a nice look -- it looks very custom, even though you are using off-the-shelf bricks.

Any other details, such as part #, price, etc. would be helpful.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Journeyman

Default arch bricks

i'm gonna post this in a new thread, so it will be easier for people to locate in the future...
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Journeyman

Default thanks for the idea, jim!

here's my forms for the header, and guides for the dome. i think i'll add even more vanes in, it is so easy to do. seems like it could get really nice to have these guides sufficient as forms at the top. i'm not actually sure they hold up, though.

now the fun begins!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Journeyman

update on progress...i've been too busy for the last few days to work on my oven, but got back at it today.

gotta go get some more bricks tomorrow. l leave on monday to japan for 3 weeks. wish i could complete the dome before then, but it's looking doubtful.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Serf

Hello. Fabio here. Nice job on the brick cuts, and like the idea of the Styrofoam ribs for the dome, it make perfect sense and easier than shiiming the corses of bricks. Any thoughts on the flute, and how deep is the entry way. Where and how far back or forward is the flute going to sit from the oven. I am in the process of building an outdoor kitchen with BBQ pit and counters, and planning this out is going to be very critical since the entire kitchen is going to be shaped like U, with overhead cover. I will be pooring a footing and start to build the brick courses up and then lay a 30' x 22' pad. I believe this way the stand for oven will be much stronger with pad poured around the brick courses.
Any feed back is appriciated and pictures anyone on the flute.

Thank you. Good people here trying to help and share their thoughts.
As I start the construction I will be taking picturers, with dimensions.

Ciao.
Fabio.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Journeyman

the entryway will be made of the exact same archbrick, extending forward 12" or so, with the vent just outside of the existing brick, like a tunnel with a slot in the middle of the top. can't make it until i finish this arch.

by the way, when i bought my remaining firebricks, the supplier gave me as many buckets as i wanted of refractive mortar. it had slighly dried on the top, so they couldn't sell it. i just scooped the top layer off, and it's good to go. kind of a bummer that i already have the fireclay, but this stuff has plenty of alumina, etc. in it, and oughta outperform the handmixed stuff. plus, i don't have to mix it! too bad i didn't ask for this in the beginning. drat!

...(edited later)
okay, scratch that. the stuff is a little too stiff, and though it is a nice pasty mortar, it would be much more work to get this stuff to the right consistency than it is to just hand mix the fireclay mortar.

Last edited by paulages; 07-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

Default by the way

i don't remember seeing anyone suggesting it, but it's really important to dunk the firebricks in water before laying them. they are so dry, they just suck up the moisture in the mortar instantly, resulting in less adhesion.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Journeyman

kim helping set bricks while i deal with the dome cuts...

this one sort of shows how the dome intersects the door header. the bricks are staggered in the archway so that the top of the section of arch that will be open for the vent will be anchored by the adjacent sections. (this will make more sense when it's done.)

i hope to finish the dome tomorrow, so this thing can do some pre-curing while i am in japan for the next three weeks. believe it or not, i've actually had some decent wood-fired oven cooked pizza in japan!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Journeyman

Default dome completed!

here's how the header tied in to the next course. not too easy, but not terribly hard.

i cut trapezoidal pieces for this---no measuring, just figured they'd fit more snugly, and they fit together like a puzzle...

Last edited by paulages; 07-17-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Journeyman

Default dome completed!

it turns out that my brick supplier ran out of low duty firebrick in a 2 1/2 series, so iwent with the 3". bad idea. check out how much bigger the gaps are as the dome closes inward, and how much mortar shows (i haven't cleaned it up yet). at the bottom wouldn't have mattered as much. oh well, c'est la vie. i'll have to point some of the larger cracks with mortar when i get back from japan. or not...it is standing freely only 3 hours after completing it.