Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build

Nate,

Well I wish I could take credit for all of my build but across the board, my build is a combination of alot of great WFO's build on this site. Looks like you have been doing your home work before you put the shovel to the dirt. Keepin an eye on the.....competition from ID.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Apprentice

Hi Nate,

Your build is looking good! I don't know if you have addressed your rebar problem yet, but when I set mine I did it after the concrete cured, then drilled holes and epoxied the rebar into place - rock solid. The epoxy cost around $20 per tube (I used ~1.5 tubes for about a dozen holes) at HD.

gene
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Apprentice

Gene,

Thanks for the input! How big and deep were your holes? Mine are a bit wider than the 1/2" rebar and anywhere from 4 to 6" deep. I am guessing you bought one of the big tubes that would go into a caulking gun right? Or was it something different? Also, was it premixed or did it come in the two separate tubes and then you had to mix it? I know nothing about some of this stuff so these questions may seem dumb but I will ask them anyway.

Again, thanks for the input.

Nate
Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

Nate,

I drilled the holes ~ 3-4 inches deep; the epoxy is self-mixing (mixes in the nozzle) and fits in a standard caulking gun. This is the stuff I used: Set Epoxy The drill bit for the 1/2-inch rebar (#4) was 5/8-inch; the rebar should easily go into the hole without too much effort. Make sure you clean the hole, then fill nearly full with epoxy and add the rebar. I braced the rebar for about an hour so it (they) wouldn't tip while the epoxy set.

gene
Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Apprentice

Gene,

I thought I had read somewhere that somebody did something like that. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Nate,
I would think epoxy on the 4 pieces of rebar would be fine, especially since you are going to be off-setting each row of 16" concrete block so the cells offset and tie into each other. When you pour cement into those cells with the rebar, it will tie the whole thing together nicely.

Are you at the point of building your base sides yet?

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Apprentice

I have been working over the last few days to get everything ready for the hearth slab pour.

Update on the rebar and epoxy situation...I decided to not put epoxy into the one hole and I figured the concrete would just fill in or at least firm up the connection. And now that it is all done and the concrete has been poured the wall seems to be fine and doesn't feel like it will be going anywhere.

I decided to go with a form similar to Russell's Beehive in Utah build but at the last minute I decided to shorten the front wood storage area and add a second storage area on the back side. I put the support wall down the center to hopefully give me good structural strength and with a solid support form underneath I hope it will all hold together when I pour the concrete. I included some pictures of the corner cuts I made to finish the support wall. They kind of serve two purposes since I am also using them to close off the inside of the rear storage area so that nothing can climb back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-nate-pouring-cores.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-nate-pouring-cores-rear-view.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-pouring-cores.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-support-wall-corner-cuts.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-corner-cuts-inside-view.jpg  

Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Apprentice

Looks great Nate - nice and solid. I like the geometry too...

gene
Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Apprentice

Thanks GGoose! Don't look at the center wall too closely or you might see my lack of symmetry.

Yesterday I got all the forms built to support the hearth slab and I kind of took what might be a non-traditional option as far as the support forms go. I actually made most of it so that I could just knock it out with a hammer and only used about 6 screws throughout the rest. I hope this holds up and turns out to be a good idea. Any thoughts? I also cut the concrete board to fit just inside of the rebar coming out of the cinder block. I used a diamond blade on my circular skill saw and it worked amazingly well. I highly recommend that option to anybody cutting concrete board. Something I did on the concrete board was that I cut it about 1/2" back from the edge of the front and rear openings so that hopefully the concrete I pour in the form will fill it in and the concrete board won't show. Does anybody see that as a problem? I hope it works.

I am still hoping to go out and finish framing up the hearth slab form and getting the rebar ready if it will cool down a bit. My build is in the shade right now but it is still very warm outside and since I still have light for about 4 hours I might still get that done.

I haven't made as much progress as I was hoping but I still made some so I will take what I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-front-view-support-framing-.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-rear-storage-support-frame.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-concrete-board-place.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-concrete-board-front-cut-edge.jpg   Pompeii Nate's 42" Oven Build-c-board-cut-rear-edge.jpg  

Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Apprentice

I just realized that all of my pictures are all really small so I apologize about that. I will figure out something to do about that. Again, sorry.