Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!

Hi, Stephen. How's it going in QB?!
We have not had any shrinking; Dave says, are you keeping the joints as small as possible? You should be using the 3000 straight-up, not with added water. In fact, he drains off any collected moisture in the can to maintain its thickness.
Regardless, Dave says that as long as the joint is full, you can always add another layer to cover cracking; just make sure you have no holes and have packed it in firm and you'll be good to go.
Let us know how you get on!

Karen
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!

Thought I would chime in here to see what others may think of what I plan to do with the S3000 mix. I also am in Canada and on my last oven used mostly a product called Moldit-x for the dome build. I used the 3000 only for the floor and thin gaps. This time I did some testing in the garage with scrap pieces of brick and found the S3000 bonds better to the brick than the Moldit-x and the tech support 1 800 confirmed this for me. I will use both of them together for the wedge gaps in the dome build this time. The plan is to butter up 1/8th max on each surface of the bricks to be bonded together and then fill in with the castable Moldit-x before setting the brick. I have done a test piece and it has set up well and 1 800 tech support says it should work fine. My idea here is to make use of the better sticking abilities of the S3000 and it also will be kind of lumpier or more irregular in surface where it meets the castable to take care of the large gaps in the build. This should give it kind of a rough area for the castable to key into and also lets me use the castable for the wide gaps that are bigger than what is recomended for the s3000 alone if you are not tapering your bricks. Hope this makes sense and I am not saying this is the best way to do it but at this point I think its worth trying as it solves the problem of the castable not sticking so excellent to smooth surfaces and also the s3000 not really meant for big gaps.....................wayne
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waynespizzaworld; 05-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.