Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii heat up?

And my cool down numbers.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/h...eat-13372.html (Heat transfer metrics - under door heat loss)

I also noted Ken's floor and dome curves and how they parallel. The question that had was what would the cool down of Ken’s oven have looked like with another hour or so of saturation. Would the floor have been closer to the dome, more like the seperation further down the cool down curve.

It’s also interesting that my cool down is so close to Lee’s numbers.

My numbers.
850 500 400 250 - ? - ? -and 108F 7 days later

Lee’s numbers starting at 9am the following days
500 337 250 184…

Chris
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My dome has 6 inches of insulation plus vermiculite filling the enclosure and 2 inches of rigid insulation under the floor.

Ken, how thick is your floor insulation?

Thanks

Chris
Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pompeii heat up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
And my cool down numbers.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/h...eat-13372.html (Heat transfer metrics - under door heat loss)

I also noted Ken's floor and dome curves and how they parallel. The question that had was what would the cool down of Ken’s oven have looked like with another hour or so of saturation. Would the floor have been closer to the dome, more like the seperation further down the cool down curve.

It’s also interesting that my cool down is so close to Lee’s numbers.

My numbers.
850 500 400 250 - ? - ? -and 108F 7 days later

Lee’s numbers starting at 9am the following days
500 337 250 184…

Chris
Yes Chris that is interesting....We have a trend here

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Journeyman

As soon as the monsoons stop here in the northeast, I'll fire my oven up and take recodings on heat up, saturation, equalization and cool down. I will use four of my thermocouples for these measurements. One is located in the center of the hearth floor about 1/2" from the top surface. Second is under that same hearth brick but above the foamglas. These two readings will give me hearth temps and when they are close to equal saturation of the hearth. I have a similar set up on the right side of the dome which will give me dome temps and saturation of the dome. I will intentionally fire the oven until both get saturated and then let the equalization take place followed by the cool down. Unfortunately this won't happen until next weekend. Too much rain and no roof! Ugh! Need to finish chimney and put the last couple of trusses up.

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCChris View Post
Ken, how thick is your floor insulation?
Chris, I have 2" of refractory board under the floor.

Updated!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pompeii heat up?

Ken, how much difference does a heat break make in these temperature curves? I have three....That could be some of the difference between our numbers rather than insulation, yes?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are a lot of variables from oven to oven.

Brick chemistry, manufacturer of the brick, how they are cut, type of mortar used, oven shape, ambient outside temp & humidity, humidity of the insulation, type of insulation, door design, heat breaks...

Whew! I don't think you can pick any one variable to explain differences in ovens .

Updated!

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
There are a lot of variables from oven to oven.

Brick chemistry, manufacturer of the brick, how they are cut, type of mortar used, oven shape, ambient outside temp & humidity, humidity of the insulation, type of insulation, door design, heat breaks...

Whew! I don't think you can pick any one variable to explain differences in ovens .
Hi Ken, You are correct with the number of variables that are contained in each oven build and data collection. And to compare a 5 degree difference would be impossible for sure. Most of the variable could be discarded when trying to explain a 50 degree or more difference.
An example would be using thermocouples to measure temp. Unless you have them calibrated and referenced to an ice bath they will not be accurate. So why do I use them without an ice bath reference? Simple the difference maybe 5 degrees between displayed temp and actual temp. But I am looking at relative temps. If my temp read 87 degrees on a day that is actually 83 degrees big whup! I am not recording daily temps, but pizza oven temps at 700,800 or 1000 degrees If I read 1005 degrees is it going to matter to me and the burnt pizzas if the temp was really 1000F or 1005 F? Now if the temp difference was 50 degrees and I am trying to bake bread and the oven is at 375 F and I want at least 425 F (which is what the meter reads) for some oven spring then this is a problem.

I would say the basic design of the Pompeii oven cannot be compared to a barrel vault when discussing changing number of heat breaks, but Pompeii to Pompeii oven with approx. same mass and insulation. Then anything that is a significant difference could be attributed to more or less heat breaks.
I do wish I had more heat breaks in the landing/vent area.
Hope I didn't ramble too much.
btw Ken I love your build! GREAT Job!

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Thanks for the detailed input, Ken and Lee. It's interesting that after the initial temp drop the dome and floor coast at nearly identical rates. This statistic suggests that the oven hastruly equalized and that the dome will always remain hotter than the floor since heat rises.
John
"The higher the heat, the greater the heat loss". That's why the cool down is not a straight line graph. Given time the floor and dome temps will equalize, providing the floor is adequately insulated or does not contain dampness.