Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pompeii 90 in Sacramento

here are a few more update pictures.

Moved over to 1/3s on the chains.

Built my inner arch and an am tying it into the dome right now.

Run out of mortar from the kit and am waiting on delivery from FB.

Pretty soon I am going to have to figure out what the outside is going to look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-02-20.20.58.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-02-20.21.36.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-02-20.22.06.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-02-20.24.00.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good Robert, your joints look nice and tight. Tying in to the arch isn't too hard, I found that one of those places were a "mortar is your friend" mind-set really helps.

PS: love your raised vegetable beds!
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Serf

Ok, here are the latest pictures. These are of the arch and the transition.

The transition is rough, but it will work

The arch is sturdy. My vent opening will be the entire width of the landing and be sloped up to the actual vent.

I am hope it will draw well.

Having fun, received more mortar in the mail today. So it out to lay more brick tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-07-14.17.54.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-07-14.18.07.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-07-14.18.35.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-07-14.20.29.jpg   Pompeii 90 in Sacramento-2010-07-07-14.18.53.jpg  

Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Banned

keep up the good work
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Laborer

Hey there bob! your oven is looking great! I had a tough time getting mortar too, but in the end I found that getting the stuff from the Fornobravo website will save you the most money. Heatstop is a wallet killer, stay away from it lol!

anyway, i too am from the sacramento area. I just recently (yesterday) finished my oven. all i have left to do is stucco. i just cooked in it yesterday as a matter of fact! although im far from an expert, If you need any advice or you need to find materials, message me...id love to help out
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Serf

Thanks for the comments everyone. Matt I will send you a message if I have any questions. I am currently going to the Brickyard and Knife river for materials. Any other good places?

I am still plugging away. I will have some more pictures tomorrow. Have an idea on the vent flue that I am trying out.

I received my FB mortar and am putting on some more chains.
Is there any special trick to this mortar? I am just adding water until it is the consistency of loose peanut butter and then using. I has been 2 days and some of it doesn't seem to have dried up yet. Well today is another 95 degree day, so I am going to let the oven sit and bake in the sun, hope that will dry something out.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Laborer

If you're talking about the brickyard on elder creek, thats also where i went. I was told once that H.C. Muddox off of Bradshaw will sell you any chipped or imperfect bricks that they have for a discount. they are also the people that supply the brickyard, so you may be able to get a considerable discount. i didnt try it...it was too out of the way and i just wanted to get my bricks so i could build ... but if money is an issue, you can possibly save some there.

as far as the mortar goes, i had the same worries, but given some time, it will harden up...actually, if you can, keep your mortar joints out of direct sunlight. maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the intense heat of sacramento summers affected the way some of my mortar cured, and some of it started to crumble away. it wasn't a big deal to patch back up, but it may save you some grief. Some of the guys on this board told me that you want your mortar to cure, not dry. if you do, it ill probably help reduce cracks when you're trying to cure your finished oven dome. any way, it sounds like you are doing a good job so far!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Serf

Default 1st major setback.

Well I went out to work on the old WFO today and the mortar still hadn't started to get hard. Weird, but I though it would happen eventually.

Well I went to the bag of FB mortar and lowe and behold - This mortar is binary. There are two different bags in the white sack. One full of grey powder and the other full of off white powder. 1st I have heard of this...guessing the two get mixed together 1:1 and then add water. No instruction and when i first opened the bag I didn't see the second bag.

Well ended up tearing off 2 days of work and salvaging what I could of the old mortar, which seemed to be fine as soon as you add water.

Oh yea, with the white stuff added this get hard fast, so fast in fact I wasted a 1/3 of a bag because it set up before I could use it.

Really mad at myself for not checking better, but a little torqued off at FB right now. No instructions, have never seen anything about a binary mortar (could just be me) in a bag like this. Hope they put something up somewhere so some other poor sucker doesn't end up with the same problems as me.

Spent the balance of the afternoon redoing the same work over and then had to stop. Hope I have enough mortar to finish this bad boy up. Figure 2-3 more chains to go.

Have some pictures but have to download them.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Laborer

ahhh...i wish you hadn't torn down all your work! its ok though. I actually had the same problem that you had with that little white bag. I didn't know what to do with it either, so i called the phone number that came with the bag, and the told me it was called "activator" and its main purpose was to smooth out the consistency of the mortar, but it will set up fine either way. oh well, both of us had to learn that lesson i guess
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Serf

Thanks Matt, that would have been great, but the bag I received was blank. No number, no instruction. Anyway I am forging ahead and I think I will be OK.