Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pompei oven progress from Carlo

Hi Dick,
your concern is right, I have been struggling on what to do and in the end I decided to pour on top of the pavers based on the fact that the patio is built on a slope.In that area, where the oven is going to be, there are 3 feet or more of pouded gravel and sand that support the retaing wall. According to the builder the weight should not be a concern...they drive huge trucks on top of paved area like that with no problem; the other issue is the froze, in this case the floating slab should take care of it as, in case, all the structure will move at the same time. We will see! Thanks ciao Carlo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Apprentice

Default question to the expert!

Hello community, after 4 months of cold bitter Minnesota winter yesterday I was able to go outside and work few hours on my oven!
I am at the point of building the core....
My question is related to the insulation of the core afterwards....I have seen using the mix of vermiculite and cement and the new light heat resistant products. Do you have any suggestion or consideration, where to buy etc? I was thinking to go with the new light product as I would save time and less weight on the structure....thanks and hopefully I can work this week end! Ciao Carlo
Attached Thumbnails
Pompei oven progress from Carlo-img_4250.jpg  

Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Carlo,

I'd definitely go with the cal sil board. It's dense, does not compress and has a much higher R value than vermic/cement. It's also easier to use, faster, does not require drying time, and, if your labor's worth anything at all, probably just about the same price.

Jim
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jim,
any web site you suggest for cal sil boards?
Do you know if these boards are subject to moist or water? I read some negative comments on some posts...thanks Carlo

Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biondoli View Post
any web site you suggest for cal sil boards?
Right here:
FB Board :: Installation Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store

Quote:
Do you know if these boards are subject to moist or water? I read some negative comments on some posts
Probably my posts. I ventured out and tried an untested product that doesn't play well with moisture. The stuff from FB will work fine.

Updated!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Apprentice

Hello guys,
I just bought on internet CalSil boards very cheap, I had to buy the entire box 27sq ft, each board is 1x3 ft x 2" tick. The package is coming and I was amazed of the weight: 73 pounds for the entire box! I thought this material was very light, now I am wondering if I BOUGHT THE RIGHT MATERIAL! Any hints? thanks ciao Carlo

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM

Yep, refractory insulating materials are dense and heavy. I drove an hour away rather than pay shipping on my box of insblock19. The blankets are heavy stuff, as well.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Apprentice

Looking for the blankets now and found this interesting web site that talk about " molding blanket" it looks like you first wet it, mold and then it dries up and becomes rigid in the form you molded...is it the same stuff that FB sells? or this is a different product....here the link, it is very interesting and there are different compositions depending of the use. I thought it would be a good info to share. Ciao Carlo
ZRCI ZRCI Silica Moldable Ceramic Fiber Refractory
Ceramic Fiber Refractories Insulation – Alumina, Alumina-Silica amd Silica Refractories by Zircar R

Last edited by biondoli; 03-28-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Apprentice

Finally the weather turned nice this morning, so I could work few hours and prepared the heart case, ready for the concrete. Snow is coming again not sure if I can work tomorrow! Here some pictures. Ciao Carlo
Attached Thumbnails
Pompei oven progress from Carlo-img_4260.jpg   Pompei oven progress from Carlo-img_4259.jpg   Pompei oven progress from Carlo-img_4264.jpg  

Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Apprentice

Today I challenged the forecast and I went for the heart slab! It didn't rain neither snow....Long work, fortunately I had a lot of help from my wife and we are done!
Now I can start thinking about the DOME!!! ciao Carlo
Attached Thumbnails
Pompei oven progress from Carlo-img_4271.jpg