Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Pompei Oven Collapsible Form (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/pompei-oven-collapsible-form-4373.html)

tdibratt 06-23-2008 09:19 AM

Pompei Oven Collapsible Form

Hi, I built my last Pompei using sytrofoam vanes as a form to make sure the bricks stayed in place. I just saw this video on Youtube:

YouTube - Pizza Oven

I think this link works otherwise look for "Pizza Oven Hangitup".

Check out the form. Made of wood and looks like it will work very well.

Anyone have any details on how this is made?

Thx

Modthyrth 06-23-2008 09:56 AM

Re: Pompei Oven Collapsible Form

How intriguing! The builder said in the comments that they burned the form on the first firing. I'd think that would get too hot for the first curing fire. But what if you did it with corrugated cardboard?? Oooh, and James, that could be very easy to manufacture and ship as a pop-together, lightweight item.

asudavew 06-23-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modthyrth (Post 35677)
But what if you did it with corrugated cardboard?? Oooh, and James, that could be very easy to manufacture and ship as a pop-together, lightweight item.

Now you are on to something!! Great Idea

And great video.

Strange bricks though.

I would think the holes would add to cracking.... after the air heats up.

Dave

dmun 06-23-2008 10:07 AM

We saw another slat-formed form in a traditional Quebec oven. By coincidence, that one didn't have a trace of insulation either.

tdibratt 06-23-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asudavew (Post 35678)
Now you are on to something!! Great Idea

And great video.

Strange bricks though.

I would think the holes would add to cracking.... after the air heats up.

Dave

Yes they look like ordinary clay bricks used for home construction. Not what I would have used for the inside dome.

tdibratt 06-23-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modthyrth (Post 35677)
How intriguing! The builder said in the comments that they burned the form on the first firing. I'd think that would get too hot for the first curing fire. But what if you did it with corrugated cardboard?? Oooh, and James, that could be very easy to manufacture and ship as a pop-together, lightweight item.

Would cardboard hold up to the weight. I guess maybe if you had enough slats. The wood slats he uses appear to be very thin since he bends them in shape. Must be 1/8" - 3/16" I would imagine. Using 1/4" starts to get pretty difficult to bend. He calls it hardboard.

Thx

Modthyrth 06-23-2008 12:06 PM

Corrugated cardboard can be incredibly strong. My mom used to have a book on building furniture out of cardboard, and we made a few items when I was a kid. The experience has always stuck with me; I was really impressed with the versatility and strength of the material.

Vertically, cardboard can support a lot of weight, and most of the support would be from the vertical arches. The thin strips on the exterior would help keep the bricks in the right place, but the support would come from the internal structure. At least that's how I'm envisioning it. I guess I'm gearing up to be the guinea pig. ;-)

tdibratt 06-23-2008 02:26 PM

So how do you build such a structure. In looking at it, I presume you make some vanes out of wood and then staple the cardboard webbing onto it?

Getting the right shape would be interesting too.