Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Default Re: POLL........How many Fire Bricks did you use for your oven?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious View Post
I bought the 42inch Pompeii Kit from FB and it included 140 bricks and 20 floor tiles (double sized bricks). This was no where near enough! They were generous in that they actually sent 144 bricks, though the specs indicated 140. In order to build a hemispherical oven with 21 inch radius/42 inch diameter, with soldier course around the floor, according to FB plans- we had to order an additional 40 bricks. I worked with a very good mason and he had almost no waste (there was a small handful of brick pieces -rubble really- at the end, and we used every usable offcut). Even with the additional 40 bricks we needed about 20 more locally sourced standard duty firebricks for the flue take off. So altogether if I had built the floor, dome entry arches/vent landing and flue take-off with firebrick- it would totalled 238 bricks. If I were to do it again- I would insist on 250 brick equivalent at the start, since there is nothing more frustrating than seeing the dome half-built and counting every scrap of brick to see if there will be enough!
Thanks for your honesty ....I would like to know from other before voicing my honest thoughts......
Old 04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For fun I ran some quick calcs.

The number of bricks required can vary greatly depending on how the brick cutting is approached.

This first calculation is based on a custom cut 42” ID oven where dome bricks are tapered front to back and are then cheek cut on both sides to create a very tight grount line. The calculation here dependes on the circumference of the outside course being laid. Everything here assumes a standard US firebrick of 2.25 by 4.5 by 9 inches. The next calculation assumes no cutting other than halving the brick and applying mortar.

The Dome bricks are calculated using the outside circumference of a 42” diameter oven with a 9” soldier course and 15 total courses.

A 20” wide oven entry and 22 inch outer entry with angle iron header placed at 63% of the dome height to support the opening.

The entry wall brick count is based on the entry being 18 inches deep, 2 bricks, from the front entry exterior to the oven interior.

A 90 degree arched entryway with a radius of 15.5 inches, to span the 22 inch outer entry.

184.4 Total bricks in dome
22.0 Bricks in entry wall (18” deep)
9.0 Bricks in a 90 degree entry archway uses a half arch brick in the front and back to create a 9” gap for smoke collection leading to the chimney.
10.0 Bricks in the floor of the entry 22”x18”
34.0 Bricks in the 42” oven floor. (Pi times the radius squared)
259.4 Total bricks, add 15% for good luck and you get a total of 298 bricks, this is about what a 42” custom cut oven requires and this seems to be supported by those posting.

In an oven dome is built with half bricks and no additional cutting, the amount of bricks needed is almost 60 bricks less.

If 126 bricks are used for the dome and 31 additional bricks for the above entry sidewall and archway, the total rises to 157 total bricks not including floor needs.

The archway would require something less than the 9 indicated since they would not be tailored in this half brick example, something like 7 is more likely, and it’s also more likely that another steel header or two would be used to support the chimney structure.

Calculating the surface of a sphere. (surface area = 4XPi X Radius squared)

The sphere brick requirements are calculated using the surface area of the inner sphere (surface area = 4XPi X Radius squared) divided by 2, an oven equals a half sphere.

The inner hemisphere area of a 42 oven is 2771 sq. in. Now remove the entry opening area (20X13.25) and the brick face area of the inner dome is 2506 square inches. The approx face area of a brick is about 10 square inches, so 2506/10 = 251 brick faces. Divide this number by 2, for a 4.5 inch thick oven using half bricks, and the total number of bricks needed is 126. The entry / chimney support can use a fair number of bricks and this becomes a design choice and needs to be added to the 126 as does the floor.

Chris

Last edited by SCChris; 04-28-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Serf

I bought 220 for a 39" oven which for some unexplained reason expanded to 40"+. I used half bricks for soldiers and the first 5-6 chains with periodic wedges above that. I have 16 bricks left.

Lee
Old 04-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Apprentice

I finally got around to counting them up. 280 for a 38 inch dome. However, I have a large pile of leftover scraps.
Dave
Old 04-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Master Builder

60" oven and over 1000 - 3/4" x 3.5 x 7.5 brick were used and a lot of waste. All cut free hand with a angle grinder. The brick are just the local fire brick which are basically terra cotta tiles. Of course I had a lot of help, that's one of the benefits of the Phillippines....labor is cheap.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Serf

I used 220 fire bricks on my 36 " oven and lbs of mortar
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Laborer

I am about to start a 54 inch oven and i hope i have my sums right as i have only ordered 300 bricks for the dome and flue will be starting a new thread soon with start date and plans these are 230x114x76 bricks and reading these post it looks like i might be short any thoughts??

Last edited by smallholder123; 11-01-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The North American brick size, 2.25 by 4.5 by 9, seems to be unique as I would guess are UK sizes. I look forward to you thread and build..

Chris.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Laborer

[QUOTE=SCChris;88454]For fun I ran some quick calcs.

ok wow what fun .. gave me a head ache wow ok how about this then 230x114x76 first course standing up full brick alll the rest half bricks no cutting just half bricks ???? and your thoughts on the base cooking floor 4 1/2 thick insulating bricks 4 1/2 thick vermiculite slabe 2 inches supporting slab 4 inches too much overkill??? or NICE ?? dome 4 1/2 then a coat of fire clay then a insulating brick cover of 4 1/2 inches is this enough?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The floor and the dome need the thermal mass of the firebrick, this is what moderates and maintains the temps. 4.5 inches of firebrick, not insulating brick or building brick, on the floor is mostly felt to be overkill unless you're doing a great deal of bread and need the oven to provide many hours of baking. For Pizza 2.25 on the floor and 4.5 in the dome is plenty of mass and if you insulate with 4" inches of vermiculite over 4 to 5 inches of reinforced concrete, you should be good. One thing that comes to mind is that with an oven of the size you described in your other thread, about 60 inches if I remember correctly, you might want to beef this thickness up or better have some mid-span support. Forgive me for identifying different brick types but some readers don't yet know about the differences.

Have you downloaded the instruction PDF for building an oven?

Chris

PS I'll move further conversation to your thread in the commercial section.

Last edited by SCChris; 11-01-2011 at 02:05 PM.