Old 05-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Please help???? Possible problem in my design.

I was able to get the three bricks against the arch to rest on the arch hoping this will help to support them. When I take the form for the arch off I will post more pictures.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Please help????  Possible problem in my design.-oven-14.jpg   Please help????  Possible problem in my design.-oven-15.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Master Builder

Tim, I agree that you should not have any structural problems. With that tear drop shape you will find that it will get more challenging as the chains go up. So you will need to do more custom fitting as you start to close things up. My advice it to take your time relax and go with the flow from this point on. I have seen this on other ovens and there comes a point that you can see the builder had a meltdown and you get that thrown together look just to get it done. From what I have seen so far I think you should do fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Peasant

Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure what I am going to do yet. Will keep you posted.

Tim
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Apprentice

The fix for the beavertail isn't too difficult, but it takes some extra effort. Instead of half bricks, cut the bricks to 3/4-ish length. Set one end of the brick about halfway onto the arch, which is probably about where it would be if you didn't have the beavertail. You may have to cut the end to "key" it into the arch. The chamber-side of the brick will be hanging over the course below significantly. Make sure to dry-fit the brick as if it is in a circular course instead of a beavertailed course.

Bevel (cut an angle) the edge of the brick facing the inside of the dome. The bottom of the angled cut should be about even with the course of bricks below it. The upper edge of the cut will cantilever out over the dome. Repeat for all the bricks in the afflicted area, then switch to normal cuts once you're past the beavertailed section. You can spread the fix over a couple courses so the beveled bricks don't have such a steep angle on them. As long as you set the beveled bricks in a circle, your dome will be trued up quickly.

I'll post a picture if I can find one.

EDIT: It appears you aren't using a dome gauge. It would be helpful to use a string or other measuring device as you fix the 'tail. Measure to the back of the course first, and that will show you where the cantilevered bricks should be. You also need to do the fix now while you have relatively shallow angles on your dome courses. Once you go vertical, it's harder to fix.

Last edited by azatty; 05-16-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Peasant

Thanks Azatty, that was helpful. Plan to work on it this weekend.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Serf

Hello, how is it holding up? I am about ready to start curing my oven, which looks very much like yours!

Joe
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Peasant

So far so good. It is holding up just fine. I've got from what I have read, normal hairline cracks in the mortar. Nothing that is structural. Time will tell. It sure is a blast cooking with it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Please help????  Possible problem in my design.-oven-33.jpg