Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: PizzaJNKY pompeii build

Thanks for the info Bingham. Mfiore, I will try to download Picasa sometime this week, so that you guys can see my progress since Yahoo is not working.

Last edited by PizzaJNKY; 04-23-2008 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Sorry Mfiore, I spelled your name wrong.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Apprentice

Hello again. I actually got some work done today and even set up a picasa photo page so that I can paste them here at FB. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to paste the photos from Picasa to this site. I guess I will keep trying, so that everyone can see my mess. I think once all the newbies see my oven, they will think to themselves, "Heck, if he can do it, I can do it!"
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Apprentice

I've started the 8th rank today. The top of my oven looks like its going to be around 18-1/2 inches high (Interior height) so the bricks appear to be straight up and down at this point. I'm using 2x4's to hold them in place as I move on the next. So far I've only set 3 8th rank bricks. (I had to take a quick break-it feels like its 100 degrees outside right now. I've started my vacation, so If I can do one rank per day from here on out, I should set the keystone on Thursday! That is if I don't run out of bricks or mortar. I pray I don't run out of mortar, my wife just found out how much I've spent on this project already, and she'd have a cow If I have to buy more.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Apprentice

8th rank was not as easy as I thought it would be. I would set one brick, move on to the next, and my 2x4 would bump into the other 2x4 knocking down 2 other bricks. One step forward, two steps backward. I finally had enough, deciding to quit with only 4 bricks left to finish the 8th rank.

I think I may have to develop a form of some sort before I continue. Since I am already at 17" high, I thought of maybe just cutting a sheet of plywood and stretching across the opening at the top, and laying the remaining courses ontop of the wood to keep them from falling. Or even better, maybe I can find an excersise ball big enough to use as a form. All I know is that I need something in there.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

PizzaJNKY

I'm having the same trouble on my upper rows. I was concerend the excerise ball would give too much so I build a platformand intend to fill with sand. Feel free to check on my pics if you like.

Good luck.

Dick
thebadger
Old 05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

JNKY, just curious what type of mortar you are using. Many who have used Refmix (Refrax) have stated its fast setting - hold the brick in place for 20-30 seconds and your on to the next. Personally, I used Heatstop 50, with the same results - hold it, it sets, on to the next.....I went so far as to make a pretty elaborate curved form out of 1/4" plywood standing on edge with about a dozen "fins" glued together in the center...my plan was to knock it apart when done; as it turned out, the Heatstop set quick and I cut each brick to fit so I never used the form (until the curing fires).

RT
Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Guys! Try mixing a little less water with your mortar. It should not slip off the slide of a trowel when it is held sideways/vertical. That is the wettest you want it. You should be able to place a brick at the 8th course, hold it for 30 sec. to a minute, and it should stay put. I alternated sides as I got higher. Place one brick, hold it till it stays, go to the opposite side, place a brick there. Then back to the first spot. That previous brick is less likely to move at that point. Obstinent bricks that insisted on sliding, I used a small stick with a shim.
Have faith!

-
Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Master Builder

Good advice from George...brickies tend to slap their loaded trowel or the mortar onto their mortar board to eliminate excess water when they have touchy bricks to lay...the mortar will stick to an upside down trowel that way
Dutch
Old 05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Spot on advice George. As I have always been told - use the dryest mix possible for maximum strength, whether mortar, grout, concrete. That said, it still must be workable and give you ample working time; I guess there is a fine line between sticky and slippery.....I always start with a peanut butter consistency then add a little more or less water depending on application and conditions. Mix small batches until you are comfortable with the working time and workability.
I always cringe when guys break out the mortar paddles and their drills and mix a wheelbarrow load or a full 5 gal bucket; unless you are laying concrete block or are a professional mason laying brick, you don't need that much mortar at one time and are probably making it too soupy to extend the working time. Just my 2 cents......

RT
Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Apprentice

Thanks again for the advice. I have been making small batches, but probably too much water. I'll try less water tomorrow. I bought a huge ball this evening, just in case. I also like badgers idea, just not sure how the heck I would remove all the sand once I was done with it. I can't wait for tomorrow...The saga continues...