Old 07-30-2010, 07:07 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pizza Pavillion

Well I'm moving at a snails pace. I'm already stressing out over the vent opening and I'm not even that close yet.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Apprentice

Well, I had a good few days and thought I would catch up here. Here is the obligatory, celebatory, good day photo.

I got the fifth course cut and figured I better start thinking seriously about the vent.

I might have found part of my moving slow problem as this is my jobsite which makes working very hard.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Vent Question

OK, so I spent the day working on the arch/vent and it hurts my brain beyond comprehension. I got most of it cut but not mortared yet and have a question. Right now my vent opening is about 14 inches by 4 1/2 inches that will transition up to an 8 inch flue. Will that work or is 4 1/2 too tight?

I'm on break but thinking about it!

My projects:
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks good! 14x4.5=63, 8x8=64, close enough for government work.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Tom. The outer arch is currently 3'' thick and I could cut it back to 2 1/2''. Trying to decide structural support vs. vent opening but probably worrying more than necessary.

My projects:
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

When in doubt, make the stack taller.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Scott, I bet you'd love to just sit in that pool and watch the oven build itself. I know people talk of soaking the bricks in water before mortaring but it works fine for the brick layer as well .

Dome is looking good. Nice job of tapering the sides and reducing the mortar. I agree with Tom, the 4.5" is a nice depth for the 14" width. It will draw very well.

Be careful with that dry run on your inner arch. I did it and worked my way in evenly for both sides BUT, the mortar joints always come out thicker than you want or think you need. I had to re-cut my center 3 bricks to make it fit, then re-cut again the keystone. So, my suggestion is to watch it and don't be surprised. If you want all the arch bricks even, or you want a larger center keystone, it might or might not work depending on your mortar skills. But it all turns mostly black anyway (at the inner arch) so don't worry too much.

cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Precutting arch bricks is tough to do. That is why I did mine with the secondary wedges. They allow you to just push the wedge into until the joints are even and thin, then you can trim the top or bottom as needed.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Tom and Dino. Yeah soaking in the pool sure helps in this 100+ temps.

Thanks for relieving my fears on the vent size and stressing me out on the mortar joints. I will be curious to see how I do....

My projects:
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

Looking really nice, Scott. Keep up the good work!!