Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Pizza at the Cottage

I took Friday off and put in the rebar over the top of my hardibacker. After a brief rain, I poured the structural hearth. My 75 year old Dad came over to help me with the pour. He filled the buckets with water and did a great job vibrating the concrete and helping me screed. It is great working with my Dad, it reminds me of when I was a kid.

I have been doing everything by myself as my 19 year old college son is working non stop this summer and is not giving me any help.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by garch; 07-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Peasant

ok, now a question---fb board or vermiculite?

I am concerned that in either case, the insulating layer will get wet from the elements. Is one better than the other?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Apprentice

The FB board can get wet, but not regularly. It is somewhat fragile, and moisture makes it moreso. You can always throw a tarp over the build every night to protect it. The vermicrete, as it contains portland cement, cures better in the presence of water, so no problem if it gets wet (after its initial set).
Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Peasant

Thanks ggoose--I went with the board. I am on vacation this week, but I bought my HF saw, so i should come back ready to cut some brick

Gregg
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Peasant

I have a quick (and probably silly question), on the oven floor I seem to remember that someone talked about the correct way to lay the herringbone floor so the peel does not catch. Any suggestions?

Also when laying out the oven, I want the walls that span the vent floor to "flare out" so that it is easier to tend the fire and adjust the pizza while cooking. Any suggestions on the amount of flare between the inner and outer arches?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM

The main thing with the herringbone floor is to lay it on a 45 degree angle to the front, that way the peel is always on an angle to a proud brick edge.

I made my entry walls radial to the dome, which may be too aggressive an angle: That makes a really wide arch at the front.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Master Builder

Gregg,

I just took note of your build. It's great to see another WFO in Michigan. I'm just a shot north of you.

Look's like your off to a great start. I'm looking forward to your progress. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Peasant

thanks dmun--that helps with the floor pattern and with my "flare". right now the inside arch is one inch smaller than the width of the outside arch. Maybe that is too small?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Peasant

Mike

thanks for your post, I grew up in Flushing, so even closer to you yet. Your thread was one of the threads that I followed closely when I first found the site. Nice job (a bit late!)