Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pizza Bob's 42" Build

Here is a video of my build from excavating the hole to cooking pizza! It's about 9 minutes long but I wanted to cover everything...

‪Wood Fired Brick Pizza Oven‬‏ - YouTube

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice video, Bob! I like the shot of your little dude, there. I'll bet he loves his daddy's special pizza! Thanks for sharing.

John
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Journeyman

Bob,
You not only set the bar high with your oven build, but for me it is out of sight! Great video documenting it all!
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Journeyman

Hi Bob,
First thanks for the insulation, like you said you can never over insulate! Secondly and more importantly, Your oven piazza is just spectacular, bellisimo, fantastic, looks great in the pics, but looks ten times better in person! Patio set is such a perfect fit/compliment and overall party perfect! The green granite counters make me green with envy! And of course the oven inside and out is perfection! Job more than well done!
Wow!
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Apprentice

John,
Thanks for the kind compliments! How are you making out with the Hurricane Irene? I purchased a generator but really don't think this storm will be much by the time it hits us in CT. Check out how well the generator fit under the pizza oven! I have about 25 gallons of gasoline ready to go should power go out...
Be safe!

Regards,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Bob's 42" Build-generator.jpg  

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_bob View Post
John,
Thanks for the kind compliments! How are you making out with the Hurricane Irene? I purchased a generator but really don't think this storm will be much by the time it hits us in CT. Check out how well the generator fit under the pizza oven! I have about 25 gallons of gasoline ready to go should power go out...
Be safe!

Regards,
Bob
Hi Bob. We are all ok so far, my wife spent two days calling for a generator! She'll be p#@$sed off if she knows she missed one! lol
Are you using it for the oven? It does fit nicely there for sure.
Be careful and safe also
John

Photos:

Oven Blog:
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Serf

Hi there. I put my keystone yesterday and i have question if you dont mind. My keystone is same as yours however i didnt stack the, up. I only have the top one not the bottom one. Do you think thats ok. Or how can ii fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_bob View Post
Thanks Dino and Fxpose!

Hi there. I put my keystone yesterday and i have question if you dont mind. My keystone is same as yours however i didnt stack the, up. I only have the top one not the bottom one. Do you think thats ok. Or how can ii fix it?

I finally, finally, finally put the keystone in today!!! It was much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't require any forms for this. The HeatStop 50 works so well - I haven't used any forms since the last time I used the indispensible tool on the fourth row. The bricks just always held in place right up to the keystone.
The keystone ended-up being two pieces stacked on top of each other. I traced the opening of the dome onto a piece of paper and then transferred that to a brick to cut the keystone(s). My wonderful 13 week pregnant wife came out and lightly tapped the keystone into place as I laid on my back in the dome watching the keystone come to the correct depth. The sides of the keystones were all tapered so it felt as if it tightned everything up nicely. I think I added a little too much mortar between the upper keystone and lower keystone because it didn't seat as low as it did when they were dry. So, as you can see in the pictures, the upper keystone is slightly proud of the dome. No big deal because this will be completely covered soon!
You can also see in one of the pictures I made an "okay" sign with my fingers as a shadow - because everything is okay now that this dome is DONE!
It sure feels good to have that keystone in there!

~Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Serf

Pizza Bob,

After using your oven for awhile do you still think the 19 1/2" dome height is too high? I'm looking at starting my build this summer and dome height seems to be an area where the FB plans don't give you a lot of decision making information.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhowse View Post
Pizza Bob,

After using your oven for awhile do you still think the 19 1/2" dome height is too high? I'm looking at starting my build this summer and dome height seems to be an area where the FB plans don't give you a lot of decision making information.
Hi,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
I wish I had the skills to make the dome lower! The oven floor gets so HOT which cooks the bottom of the pizza quicker than the toppings. I haven't tried bread in there but I'm sure the slightly higher dome would be better for this. As for the pizzas, I "dome" the pizza before pulling it out of the oven...basically hold the pizza close to the dome and it acts like a broiler - a really HOT broiler. The toppings get a little carmelized and life is good!

Regards,
Bob

Old 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

It's been awhile since I posted! How is everyone doing? I hope your oven builds are coming along nicely and for those who are finished....How great is the food coming out of these ovens???
I have been using the oven quite a bit before this past summer - I had major surgery in April but everything is good and I'm ready to fire this thing up again!
I must have dropped a larger size log on the hearth floor and chipped one of my bricks. Luckily it's towards the front of the oven but not in the vent transition area. I would like to hear how others replaced hearth bricks and what issues/challenges they had to over come. My concern is not getting t he new brick level with the rest.

Any thoughts?

Hope everyone is doing well!

Kind Regards,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Bob's 42" Build-patio-oven.jpg