Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza Bob's 42" Build

19" Bob! That's perfect. Glad you spent the time on the last row before your keystone. It's a great parting shot. So many milestones along the way of a wfo build. They're piling up fast now.
Can't wait to see your 2 part keystone.
Cheers, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino and Fxpose!

I finally, finally, finally put the keystone in today!!! It was much easier than I thought it would be. I didn't require any forms for this. The HeatStop 50 works so well - I haven't used any forms since the last time I used the indispensible tool on the fourth row. The bricks just always held in place right up to the keystone.
The keystone ended-up being two pieces stacked on top of each other. I traced the opening of the dome onto a piece of paper and then transferred that to a brick to cut the keystone(s). My wonderful 13 week pregnant wife came out and lightly tapped the keystone into place as I laid on my back in the dome watching the keystone come to the correct depth. The sides of the keystones were all tapered so it felt as if it tightned everything up nicely. I think I added a little too much mortar between the upper keystone and lower keystone because it didn't seat as low as it did when they were dry. So, as you can see in the pictures, the upper keystone is slightly proud of the dome. No big deal because this will be completely covered soon!
You can also see in one of the pictures I made an "okay" sign with my fingers as a shadow - because everything is okay now that this dome is DONE!
It sure feels good to have that keystone in there!

~Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-direct-top-view.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-top-view.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-me-smiling.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-ok.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-dome-back-view.jpg  

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Apprentice

The keystone required a few more pix...
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-left-view.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-rear-aerial.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-inside-portrait.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-inside-bright.jpg   Pizza Bob's 42" Build-keystone-inside-tight.jpg  

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Serf

Bob, I was just enjoying your build so much I was in a hurry to see the finished product. Your keystone is amazing and unlike any other one I have seen. Great work!

Jim
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Master Builder

Great job on the keystone, Bob! The entire dome build looks great. I can't wait to follow it's progress to completion.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

Well done! Your keystone gives inspiration to all of us who follow.

My projects:
Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Apprentice

Congrats Bob!! The Key stone turned out great.
Now to the vent construction!!

cheers

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Laborer

Really looks great. Nothing like getting that keystone in. Have fun with the vent and chimney.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Apprentice

That looks awesome. ....I have to get off my butt and get outside and work on mine.

My slow journey to pizza.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well done Bob, congratulations. Just a few more pieces to cut for the vent and you'll be through with cutting firebrick. As dsgreco says above, the vent and chimney can be fun.
-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread