Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration

We need pictures......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Laborer

Sorry, accidentally deleted my post, that didn't have pictures, so here's it again, in summary:

This may be the dodgiest build on the forum, but I have built an inner arch and first course. Note the many and varied mistakes - one could spend hours picking them out! Any resemblance to Cheesesteak's oven is purely coincidental, therefore! Before I move on, is there any reason to redo this arch? I'm not going to stand on it, that's for sure, but when is near enough good enough? Appreciate the mentoring to get me this far (originally it was going to be a flat entry and angle iron, remember?), but don't be shy in any advice or counselling you may care to give (such as "quit while you're ahead ... ha ha).
Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-photo-arch-front.jpg

Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-photo-arch-dodgy-join.jpg

Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-photo-first-course-laid-1.jpg

Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-photo-first-course-laid-2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-perth-20120325-00162.jpg  

Last edited by jab49; 03-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Carry on with the build, the dome will buttress the arch and stop it from moving further.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Carry on with the build, the dome will buttress the arch and stop it from moving further.
Thanks Brickie. Sometimes one needs a little gentle encouragement to keep going.

Can I ask that you take a look at another post I just made, back in the Materials threads?
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/44/r...a-13379-2.html (Resources in West Australia)

Not sure if you have used Silaset 40D, but not having worked with it before, I wanted to check it wasn't one of the products that the manual cautions against using (that are designed for indoor fireplaces).

Cheers

JT
Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Journeyman

JT
Quote:
Not sure if you have used Silaset 40D, but not having worked with it before, I wanted to check it wasn't one of the products that the manual cautions against using (that are designed for indoor fireplaces).
If I remember rightly it was airset mortars they cautioned against whcih is not what you are using.
Still some people use airset and it seems to work Ok. I think as long as the dome is covered from rain (tarp or something - you seem to have a roof of some sort) even the indoor.
stuff will be OK. It was the expense which finally turned me off the airset and I opted instead for the homebrew - which is widely recommended on here and I heartily endorse.
The arch will be fine. If you have 12" radius semicircle (as I think Cheesesteaks was) the dome should hit it consistently all the way round.
As brickie says once, the dome is built around it it will reinforce it from all sides - wait till then before you do the Sharkey test
That reminds me have to post my pic of the "jig on the dome"
looking good so far - keep it going
Amac
Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

Just use your indispensable tool to check if your dome will connect with your arch. If it doesn't reach correctly than you will end up with a teardrop like some of us have. The arch has to be pushed far enough into the oven to make a good connection.
- I had this problem in my build, you can check it out if you want.(round shape)

Good luck,
Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Serf

Hi John

I Built my oven a few years ago - the arch is not as difficult as you may think.
I'm not a brickie or stonemason - give it a go.

Look at my link - this may give you some ideas

Mike

Check out my progress to date

Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Perth 42" Pompeii - Gaps in brickwork

How critical is it that the faces of the bricks all but up against each other? In this photo, you see little gap opening up. I'm thinking that it' won't matter too much, but will it get worse as I go higher, and if it must sort it out now, how would that be achieved?
Attached Thumbnails
Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration-photo-gaps-course-3.jpg  
My build:
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"but will it get worse as I go higher,"

Eventually you will have to start "beveling" the bricks to keep the joint tighter at the bottom.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"but will it get worse as I go higher,"

Eventually you will have to start "beveling" the bricks to keep the joint tighter at the bottom.
Yup - not that hard. Some people create jigs for the angle cuts - I just put one of the brick shims I cut out under the brick I was cutting (to get the bevel) - just played it by ear (so to speak) and beveled the sides. As I got higher - I angled the bricks (on the shims) for the double bevel cut. This gives you plenty of brick shim / scraps to use for filler pieces in the larger gaps . . .

Like I said - I just eyeballed them and they came out pretty tight . . .

Keep going - you'll do fine. Just take a couple of bricks and shave off the bevel and see how they fit together. Once you see it - the rest should be easy.