Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pensacola Build

Finally able to get back to the oven. I finished the block wall around the oven and filled every other cell with concrete and a "J" hook for later. The next layer is a combination cap and half round break between layers. I got some thick walled 3 inch water pipe for the round mold. Firstly ripped in half, then another cut on the upper edge for a blended look. I wanted to try out the Quikcrete Countertop mix. It was a little bit of a pain since it is a fairly dry mix. I ended up using 7 1/2 bags @ $11.00 a bag. After a couple of days I'll remove the mold and see how it turned out. Next step is metal framing for the rest of the way up.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-086.jpg   Pensacola Build-078.jpg   Pensacola Build-081.jpg   Pensacola Build-084.jpg   Pensacola Build-087.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Apprentice

Removed the molds. It worked out fair. I blew it on the chimney design. I didn't get the angles right in my planning. Does anyone know if it's ok to stack the angled chimney pipe as pictured? I'm trying to offset the chimney about 3 feet without having a 15 foot tall enclosure.
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-013.jpg   Pensacola Build-014.jpg  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Apprentice

Well, after alot of deliberation, this is what I am stuck with for a chimney system. I'll have to remove the anchor plate and build a transition out of brick etc. I can't go higher because of the pergola structure. When finished, I'll run a few fires to see how the draw will be. If worse comes to worse, a blower installation might be needed. Oh well.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-001.jpg   Pensacola Build-002.jpg   Pensacola Build-003.jpg   Pensacola Build-004.jpg   Pensacola Build-005.jpg  

Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pensacola Build

Looking good!

Glad to see you enjoying the process.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Lee, I am enjoying the challenge but I'll be relieved when it's "dried in". Everyone still thinks I'm nuts.
Leigh
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Laborer

Magnificent looking job, I'm looking for any ideas I can find for my pergola area so I'll be watching with interest!

Russell.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Russell. Do you need plans for a pergola? or something to put under it. I have plans for the one I'm building which will be about 22 ft square. It's designed to withstand hurricanes, but I'll be glad to share them with you if it's what you're looking for.
Leigh
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Apprentice

Hi Leigh,
How's the build going? I haven't seen much posted.
I've been left to work on my counter (too much rain and freezing temperatures mixed in with all these beautiful days). Oh yeah, my real work gets in the way too.
Jeff
PS I'm going to be in Gulf Shores the first week of April.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Apprentice

how's the oven going? I got my arch done - next to connect course 6 to it.
Jeff