Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Serf

Default Re: Pensacola Build

Looks like an impressive build, can't wait to see the progress pics!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Apprentice

Finally got back to work on the build. The next concrete pour required 2 yards, so I opted to have it delivered. I had to fill the column piers and the stand. With a wet pea gravel mix, it went well. I made a gizmo to allow an easier pour into the column piers without filling the center, which will hold the 6x6 columns down the road. I plan to use the 4 inch vermicrete layer for the hearth. I'm really looking forward to starting the pompeii, although I'm going nuts trying to nail down the final footprint for the entry. I like the flared opening a few of the builders have done and will probably go that route.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-004.jpg   Pensacola Build-005.jpg   Pensacola Build-003.jpg   Pensacola Build-010.jpg   Pensacola Build-012.jpg  

Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Apprentice

I decided to go with a vermicrete insulation layer of 4.5 inches. The key for me working with this stuff was the importance of wetting the vermiculite before adding the slurry of portland. Even though the calculations showed I would need about 8.5 cubic feet, I ended up using about 10. I saved any extra for filler down the road. I used 2 bags of portland which gave me a 5:1 ratio. After much deliberation, I decided to do a flared landing area. Since Dino_Pizza had a nice drawing of his, I went with his setup, (thanks Dino). My next puzzle is to decide about the soldier course. I am leaning toward no soldier course at all. Thinking about 2 flat courses layed the way the rest are before starting the angle courses. Still researching that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-004.jpg   Pensacola Build-010.jpg   Pensacola Build-012.jpg  
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

I finally decided on what has been refered to here as a sailor course for the first string. Apparently a brick standing up is a soldier, while a brick laying down is a sailor. I am using the 3:1:1:1 homebrew (sand, hydrated lime, portland, fireclay). The weather here has been hot and dry, so working with the mortar has been a learning experience. I ran across a thread on the forum which said it is permissable to rehydrate the mortar as needed. That one fact has made the homebrew easy to use in my case. I decided to just cut the bricks on the sides 5 degrees. Toward the top I'm sure I'll have to bevel, but for the lower strings, it's just the side cuts. At the moment, the inner arch is the brain fryer. I decided to work a little in reverse to get the lower corners of the arch fit. Originally I made my dome gage for a dome height of 21 inches. I have since read the height for a 42 inch oven should be about 19.5 - 20 inches for the high dome model. I'm thinking of cutting off the upper part of the template to lower the last 5-6 chains instead of trying to reprofile the whole thing. All in all it's been alot of fun and thank goodness for Motrin.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-060.jpg   Pensacola Build-066.jpg   Pensacola Build-070.jpg   Pensacola Build-073.jpg   Pensacola Build-075.jpg  

Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Apprentice

One more chain done along with the inner arch. I'll start with bevel cuts for the next string. Except for my template shifting for half of the chain, things seem OK.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-006.jpg   Pensacola Build-007.jpg   Pensacola Build-008.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Apprentice

Finished another course as well as the outer arch. I'm starting to get into the inner arch transition which is a head scratcher at times. Still enjoying the build.
Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-033.jpg   Pensacola Build-035.jpg   Pensacola Build-036.jpg   Pensacola Build-038.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Apprentice

It's looking great! Keep the pictures coming!

I'm way behind you. Concrete pad is being poured tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Jeff. Good luck with your build. The heat here has been not so kind to mortaring bricks. I hope to keep the progress going at a decent clip. I have new found respect for everyone that took on this project. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Leigh
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Apprentice

Excellent work so far Leigh.. really impressive work! will be following this one closely!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Apprentice

Thanks chidding, I appreciate that. Another course completed with the hated arch transition. I'm not smart enough to figure out a quick way to fit the bricks in this area, but 3 hours took care of the two bricks at the arch. Like everyone else that's been there, I'll be glad when this part's over.

Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Build-004.jpg   Pensacola Build-005.jpg   Pensacola Build-006.jpg   Pensacola Build-010.jpg   Pensacola Build-011.jpg