Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Serf

Default Re: PC's 42" Build a PRE SLAB POUR ???

Ok...only some minor progress so far, I've had delays because of weather and a need to actually build up to grade under my slab added some extra work. At this moment I have 4000lbs of concrete mix in my garage and I have a form with rebar/mesh and plastic sheeting waiting to be filled. But once again this weekend it's supposed to rain. I'm not griping though because TX really, really needs the rain.

But all this waiting time has made me second guess my work...specifically my back-filling and compacting. So I am wondering if any of you know how I can tell if I've done this critical step correctly or need to change/re-do any of it?

I've backfilled with clay/sand mix which is what was there (but it wasn't enough) so I have added 3/4 inch river rock 9 bags of it, plus 7 bags of "top soil mix" which is a generic flower bed / low spot filling material. I put in an inch or two at a time and tamped it down with my 10lb sledge with a 18" piece of 2x6 attached to it. I put in about 7 total inches. If you look at the pic you will see the sledge/tamper plus you will see my prepped area which has a small added trench for support and three "feet" which are about 10 inches in diameter and they are dug down to undisturbed soil to help add support.

Is what I've done going to by sturdy and not "sink" how does one know if he tamped down the soil enough?

The form currently is full of plastic sheeting and rebar/wire mesh, and is covered to keep the area from getting too washed out with all the forecasted rain said to be coming.

Thanks,

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
PC's 42" Build-waiting-rebar2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Serf

Default Re: PC's 42" Build

The form is a 2x6 which is around 5.5" actually. I'm just worried that the "top soil fill dirt" I used might be too organic or that I didn't tamp it down enough and it causes the slab to sink or get off level later on.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Apprentice

Bill,
Does the top soil you added have alot of "bounce"? If it does it is probably the organic material, which will decompose over time and leave voids. If not you are probably fine. The rain shouldn't hurt the excavation and may even help settle it; just let it dry out a bit before you pour. If you are certain you need to back fill, use something like 5/8's minus (5/8ths inch broken stones and smaller, all the way to dust); it packs very well and is a better choice than topsoil. Judging from the image you posted the prep works looks reasonable. Just tamp it down as best you can. If you are still concerned add some extra rebar. Don't be alarmed if you get minor cracking in the slab; concrete cracks. What you want to avoid is cracking, then separating into a larger crack or shifting out of plane.
Good luck,
gene
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 AM
Serf

Finally made some progress and got the first slab poured! We had a couple big rain events (that we needed badly) that delayed my working but yesterday I poured the slab. This is back breaking work when you are a lone man and it was nearly 100 deg F yestarday. Anyhow I ended up beefing up my slab's structure after my previously posted concerns. I ended up putting in more footers, one long deep one across the entire back of the slab and two more 10" diameter one's around the area that will support the oven. I also added 30+ feet more 1/2 inch rebar to the metal structure within the slab. One more reinforcement I did was to add 3 additional pounds of portland cement to each sack of cement mix I used. Yesterday's pour took thirty one 80 pound bags of cement mix and about 100 pounds of portland cement. I knocked the form off late last night and this morning I went and checked its status it is quite solid and perfectly level. Now I can begin forming up my two connecting slabs for my outdoor kitchen's counter areas to the left and right of the WFO oven slab. If you all check the pictures you can see my rebar extensions that will tie my slabs together. Once these slabs are in place and I've put my fire-pit's base structure in place I am calling in a concrete guy to pour my entire patio area in concrete which will tie it all together and give me a nice hard surface to work on. He will pour the patio up to and around all of the structures I am building. I'm not attempting to pour my patio area myself it's 1200 square feet in area and it's a job best left to a seasoned cement professional. As it stands I've got plenty of work to do ahead of me building the oven, and an entire attached outdoor kitchen, some privacy fencing, wood decking and related landscaping.

Anyhow I've attached a couple of pics of the slab that I took this morning. I'm headed out to begin work today.....there's so much to do!!!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
PC's 42" Build-slab1.jpg   PC's 42" Build-slab2.jpg  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Apprentice

Looking good Bill. Hopefully it will rain a bit more - you guys need it, plus it will help cure your concrete
gene
Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Journeyman

Hi Bill,
Good to see your started your oven and are going strong. I was reading all the work you have planned and WOW, you are ambitious! I had to take a break from just reading all the work ahead of you!
Good Luck Can't wait to see more!
John

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oven Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Serf

I've made a tad more progress in my WFO / Outdoor Kitchen build. I poured another slab yesterday. I'm up to 53 80lb pound bags of concrete mix now and about 150 pounds of portland so far. I've still got 47 bags in my garage. I went through my first load of 50 and had another 50 delivered. I'm really physically tired of hauling so much weight around in the abnormally high temperatures we've been having here, this past week hovered around 100F and was fully humid....working like that has worn me out. But I'm seeing a bit of light now at the end of the tunnel now with my smallest slab pour remaining.

This week formed up and poured the grilling leg of my kitchen area. This leg is 9 feet long. Yeah seems kinda long but my plan is to have 3.5 feet of smooth counter space immediately to the left of the WFO for forming the pizza shells and then a 32" wide charcoal grill next then a 14" wide propane side burner next and finally a tad (1.5 feet) of counter space just past the side burner. If you see the pics you will see my pvc provisions for some drainage around the kitchen area as well as a 1" electrical conduit for connecting electrical between the left grilling leg of the kitchen and the right leg of the kitchen which will be the sink / bar area. That side will have a small sink and a built in Ice Chest / Cooler. It will be shorter in length probably 6.5 to 7 feet in length.

I'm not going to start building my oven base until I have all three base slabs poured I suspect I will finish the final slab by next weekend.

Anyhow if your interested I've attached a few pics.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
PC's 42" Build-grillslab1.jpg   PC's 42" Build-grillslab2.jpg   PC's 42" Build-grillslab4.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Serf

FINALLY!!!!!! I get to start going up now instead of just working horizontally. I finished my final foundation slab this morning as I pulled the forms and now have the foundation for my oven, grilling facilities, and sink/bar facilities in place. I can now begin bringing up the oven stand!

I've attached pictures to this post in the pics you can see the "L" shape of my outdoor cooking area and you can see provisions for drains and drainage, electrical, etc. I even left an opening in my sink side slab for access to the water and drain line should any problems arise and I need to repair. Once I'm done though I'm going to fill this area in with some pebbles and cover it with a piece of 1/2 inch ply....I created an 1/2 recess around the opening so I can pop in a cover over my access opening.

The last two weeks of extreme heat have really slowed me down a bit it's been 100-104 deg. F and fully humid for about a week now and it's worn me out.

But for now I'm pumped because the back breaking foundation work is done.
Now time for the back breaking WFO stand! LOL

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
PC's 42" Build-finishedslab.jpg   PC's 42" Build-barsideslab.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Serf

Well after a tough summer I am back to working on my build. I had finished my foundation work and began going up with the cinderblock walls of the stand in early July. Well, it was the start of Texas's worst ever heat wave and drought and I was working on a Friday for about 5 hours on a day where it hit 105F and I got hit with heat exhaustion or something. I went from being hot and sweaty to being cold and dry and really sick to my stomach. I dropped everything went in the house and to a cold shower and threw up and was quite sick the rest of the weekend. I decided then that I would not work again on the project while the heat of summer was so intense, I really want the WFO but it's not worth dying over. I had no idea the heat wave would be as severe as it has been but now that it's well passed I'm back out there working and hope to have my top slab poured by Thanksgiving and begin working on the
oven itself.

I'll try to post some current pics when I get a chance.

Bill
Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Apprentice

Hey Bill,

Great start on your WFO and great layout! I have a similar layout, with firepit, wood grill and plenty of countertops. It's an "L" shape corner build as well. Don't worry about taking too long, I'm going on 3 years, but it's finally coming together!

Keep building and you'll get there. Good luck and post pics!

aceves