Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/pauls-42-wfo-canberra-australia-14634.html)

Muscats 10-20-2010 12:49 AM

Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia

After reading many threads on the forum and absorbing as much of the wisdom and experience to be found here, I have finally made a start on my oven and thought I start a thread so I can ask the inevitable question I will have along the way and to share some pics with everyone.

As the thread title says I am building a 42" (1100mm) Pompeii oven in Canberra, Australia. My plan is to lower the dome height by using an indespensible tool with the center point set lower the the oven floor.

Paul

Muscats 10-20-2010 12:59 AM

Re: Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia

4 Attachment(s)
Some pics showing the location in our entertaining area, markout, excavation, reo.

nissanneill 10-20-2010 01:45 AM

Keep it going an you will be enjoying pizzas, breads and roasts for Christmas.

Cheers

Neill

PS Keep the pics coming, we all enjoy them!

Muscats 10-20-2010 02:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have poured the slab now and hope to make a start on the stand on the weekend.

A few more pics, note the neighbours in the background of the second shot.

nissanneill 10-20-2010 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Peskie little critters, aren't they!
I just delivered some colorbond roofing to a friend up in the Adelaide Hills and he has asked if I know suitable fencing contractors to install a 2metre chain wire fence around their house/garden plots just to keep the kangaroos out and save their fruit and veggies.
Wonderful animals, inquisitive, no brains or road sense, (as I have hit numerous ones with the 4wd out in the country), but wonderful symbols for Australia.
I have included an article in our Sunday paper from last week just for the visitors.
Cheers

Neill

Muscats 10-20-2010 04:45 AM

Yeh;

problem is with all the rain over the last year they have had a population explosion and we are getting around 200 going through our paddocks everyday. You can see how green it is at the moment and all the females with joeys ready to leave the pouch, you can bet they all already have another one in there as well. I wonder how roo would go in the WFO?:eek:

nissanneill 10-21-2010 01:20 AM

Quote:

I wonder how roo would go in the WFO?
There's really only one way to find out!
Go for it but might I also suggest trying some smoked roo!
You can also use the oven for this, especially with a ready supply at hand.

Neill

Muscats 10-31-2010 01:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So my plan is to make a low dome 42" Pompeii, aiming for 17 inch dome height by lowing the center point of the Indespensible Tool, see attached.
Does anyone see any problems with this approach?

tinaloven 10-31-2010 08:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
g'day Paul

looks good so far. Im encountering the same dilemma. Id like to go for a shallow dome although some issues arrises as the overall strength diminishes as the dome gets lower. After some research. A parabola design is the strongest but as its more of a triangle its not very heat effective. So there is a trade of in the two designs. Ellipse is better at thermal mass but weaker dome Parabola is stronger but takes for fuel to heat and maintain. I guess thats why they go for the semi circle although very strong without any weight on it but brick ovens are load bearing so where do we stand at the design of the dome. Im in the same boat as you which way do I go? Im actually building one in Queanbeyan myself.

I've built my dome gauge with measurements so if I go for a shallow dome I can change the angle exactly with it.

my dome is large it's 1280mm about 50 inches. I went for a big build a) we have a big family and when we have get togethers its a very large gathering 2. we live on acreage with plenty of fuel. 3 I'm aiming to turn it into a business where I can produce breads, sun dried tomatoes etc and sell at various markets.

Im waiting on my insulation board and cooking tiles. (ordered from "Johnny the Oven Man") who has the best prices of all oven building material I found in Australia he 's in Melbourne and he delivers. So Ive marked out and cut my bricks which will lay on top of insulation then 300x300 cooking tiles.

Yes over engineered but better than under I always say.

But basically Im stuck on the dome, I want my oven to last 2000years (I wish)

brickie in oz 10-31-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 101054)
no brains or road sense,

But so much more sensible that Emus....:D