Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
But so much more sensible that Emus....
Ain't that the thruth, I remember my sister's car getting hit by Emus on two separate occassions when driving to Burke from Sydney. Now she wasn't hitting them they where running out of the bush and hitting her car side on and man do they do some damage.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaloven View Post
g'day Paul

looks good so far. Im encountering the same dilemma. Id like to go for a shallow dome although some issues arrises as the overall strength diminishes as the dome gets lower. After some research. A parabola design is the strongest but as its more of a triangle its not very heat effective. So there is a trade of in the two designs. Ellipse is better at thermal mass but weaker dome Parabola is stronger but takes for fuel to heat and maintain. I guess thats why they go for the semi circle although very strong without any weight on it but brick ovens are load bearing so where do we stand at the design of the dome. Im in the same boat as you which way do I go? Im actually building one in Queanbeyan myself.
Wow, Queanbeyan. We moved from Queanbeyan to Burra about 18 months ago, where about do you live?

The idea if I lower the point for the tool means I should still get a perfect semi circular dome just not the full half its like slicing through the circle above the middle so that the distance from the slice to the top of the circle is less than the radius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaloven View Post
I've built my dome gauge with measurements so if I go for a shallow dome I can change the angle exactly with it.
Nice shots of the tool you have made, very neat. I have had a go at one already but I think I will make another. my plan to get the attachment point for the tool lower than the cooking floor is to remove a floor tile and the insulation bricks beneath it, but I have worked out that the tool will need two bends in it to get it to reach over the floor level. The first tool I made has the right angle piece attached square to the second piece of the tool i.e. after the second bend, but I have realised that the right angle piece needs to be square to the line of the tool irrespective of the bends in it, if that makes sense. As I am typing this I am thinking it might be easier to just remove all of the floor tiles and most of the insulation bricks and use a straight tool to build the dome and then replace the insualtion and floor tiles
Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscats View Post
they where running out of the bush
Ive had them run 300M from the other side of the road just to be in the way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Serf

Live in Greenleigh,

One thing you will always have is that slight hight difference to the width difference (around a inch or so) due to what type of swivel rotation axis point you fix to the floor. Ideally a door hinge which is obviously flatter then place a bearing so it can turn underneath. I found thats too much mucking about and got a $4.30 swivel wheel from bunnings which fits my 30mm steel tubing snugly. I used a square 25mm tube that slides inside from the pictures you can see I cut an old tap measure and glued it to the 30mm and measured from the inside edge of the "L" steel bracket ($5.00 from bunnings) which had to be grinded flush as the inner "L" was rounded. Measured to the centre of the swivel. Then cut the sides of both tubings so I could slot in a bolt and nut to maintain exact length plus my cousin wants to build a smaller oven when Im done so he can adjust the tool. I spayed it rust proof black so it doesn't seize up in the future.

The L bracket and tube piping and swill all have to be dead centre.

I can see what your saying I think in lowering the tool so it compensates for this. I think that its only a few cm's difference in my case that it wont matter to much plus any extra height greater than a semi circle turns into a parabola which is stronger. Im going for strength built to last rather than the shallower dome.

Someone did post a great link to informed article about dome and arches at
Auroville Earth Institute, training courses, workshops on Vaults, Arches, Domes(VAD), stabilized rammed earth walls, compressed earth blocks, vaulted structures, compressed stabilised earth blocks, rammed earth.
http://www.earth-auroville.com/maint...uctures-en.pdf
http://www.earth-auroville.com/maint...notions-en.pdf

In semi circle domes, their main concern is the horizontal thrust needs to be in the middle third of your brick dome to be strong.

The thickness of your dome walls needs to be in relation to the internal span. The thickness needs to be the span divined by 5 i.e. T = Span/5. so if you have a 42" oven span your brick dome should be 8.4" thick. Thats how I read it and if someone would like to confirm or check this.

PS. we have roo's that eat our back yard lawn and I wonder at the possibility of kangaroo toped pizza mmm yummy! They are looking at the oven curiously and I again wonder if they know my thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0746.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0747.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0749.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0750.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0751.jpg  

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Laborer

Oh Greenleigh, nice area.
Sounds like we have both been to bunnings buying the same things. I got a swivel wheel there too, but i must have bought the a smaller one going on the price. I also bought a Post Stirup (the sought used for pergolas) to use for the right angel, it comes with a piece of pipe welded at right angles in the center.

I like the idea of the slot in the tubing, did you cut that with an angle grinder? I might copy your design and go with square tubing I have been trying to work with round but given that my tool will have bends in it I am finding it difficult to make the tool remain straight (i.e. on the same plane).

8.4" seems quite thick, thats almost a full brick? I suppose we get quite a bit of leaway with the holding strength of the mortar.

By the way, I took a trip to Sydney to Field Furnace to get my material.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Serf

Sorry Muscats,

Those calculations were for a freestanding arch without any support or load. For a dome its much stronger so you wont have to go 8.4". render and the

I get my material from "Johnny the oven man" who's on this forum. Much cheaper than Sydney field furnace.

I did cut a slot in the tube with the angle grinder. You only have to cut the inner tube and not do both like I did.( Then get yourself a wing nut and hey presto a accurate measuring guide. Also make sure your post stirup has a flush 90o angle as usually the are slightly curved as they are bent into shape. Use a grinder to make a small slice in the joint for this and check the angle level.

My insulation board comes friday so I have 2 days to make an executive decision on my dome and arch opening measurements. Pressure is on.

I'll post some pics when building.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Laborer

Finally found some more time to work on my oven and have completed the stand and poured the hearth slab today, photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1070025.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1070032.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1070034.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1070036.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1070019.jpg  

Last edited by Muscats; 01-07-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Laborer

Formwork removed and have cut the slab insulation bricks and floor tiles ready to set the floor on fireclay and sand mix then the fun begins with inner arch and the dome
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1140002.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1140005.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Laborer

Dry stacked inner arch and half height soldier course.

I have it dry stacked with spacers and it is holding it self up and is the height I was after.

A question on the arch, is there a minimum thickness of mortar I should use in the arch?
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-p1150003.jpg  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Serf

Hey Paul, looks great. Nice craftsmanship.

I think the minimum thickness you can go is about 6mm. As the bricks will expand and contract over time and giving a little mortar will limit cracks forming. This was using the "ciment Fondu" refactory mortar. Availably only at CE industries in fyshwick at the moment no other supplier carries it. Its temp rated at 1000deg c so its good stuff ($45 a bag). Otherwise you can buy fireclay at bunnings for about $15 a bag mix with sand and cement to get the equivalent substitute.

I think its 8 parts sand, 3 parts cement and 2 parts fireclay. Need to check that ratio.

Im just about to finish my chimney. My floor and dome pics are what I did at your stage. The front arch was cut to wedge the brick which held freestanding. But I made a mock door as a guide cause what happened is that when I placed my 6mm mortar on the arch bricks I pretty much lost a brick space. Although they fitted perfectly without mortar before with mortar you loose a brick. So build it from side to side and when you get to the "keystone" arch brick you may have to custom cut it and use a rubber mallet to tap it down. Hence the mock door as it will hold the tapping down force and the overall arch support.

You ideally want to lay that arch in one go. making sure your bricks are wet(pre soak them or wet them before mortar as that ciment fondu is super strong and dries out like a dead dingo's donga super fast.

I'll post some pics of my dome insulation and final skin render later.
Attached Thumbnails
Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0809.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0856.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0864.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_0901.jpg   Paul's 42" WFO - Canberra Australia-img_1014.jpg  

Tags
australia, pompeii