Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!

Great build! I admire your use of the mason string, no IT. Maybe I'll try it for a couple courses, see how it goes. Funny, the way you worked on chains going up before completing the one below reminds me of the partially rebuilt Death Star in Return of the Jedi. I am such a nerd. I swear, I don't have action figures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Apprentice

Funny stuff Jim...I am a sci fi geek too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I think Gianni (Octoforno) towards the top rounded his bricks to get an almost perfect joint. Cutting the bricks smaller also reduces it.
It was a fairly quick process to slowly drag the face of each brick across the rim of the diamond blade to leave a concave surface not only top-to-bottom, but also side-to-side. This effectively removed any upper-brick hanging over the adjoining bricks below. The concave radius got progressively smaller with each successively-higher course.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Apprentice

Completed the last 3 courses, these were real hard as the angles/bevel were extreme, center piece end up being 5" in diameter, so I just used 2 pieces cut from 2 full bricks. I made a form for the last piece, so that suggested somewhere, really helped.

Pretty happy with the way everything came out, its not the prettiest girl on the block, but she is my girl! Really liked the duravent, real easy to install, sure I went over board, embedded it in mortar, tap con it down, then topped sides with full bricks mortared again.

Will start facade for front/chimney next month. Glad to have the week break to let this dry out before curing, I'm really beat! All in all I have 3 months build time (thanks to my wife schedule as teacher, and mine as a firefighter), otherwise it would be more like 5 or 6 months. Really enjoyed the process, what a great site, feel blessed to have the mentors showing me the ropes, especially Russell!

Here are the pics......

.Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0312.jpg

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0313.jpg

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0317.jpg

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0320.jpg

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0322.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Apprentice

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0322.jpg

Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!-imag0323.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great Pat! Congrats. What are your curing plans?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Pat,

Congrats, you cross your hurdle. Knew you would. Good luck with the cure. I am still farting around with my chimney.........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Impressive build, Pat. Love the attention to detail and super-tight joints. You say she's not the pretties on the block, but as soon as you fire her up, she's gonna be hot! Great job!
John
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Awesome! Looks pretty damn great to me.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Apprentice

Thanks John, that means a lot coming from you, really appreciate that!