Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

Gaucho1-

I'm really not concerned about the fence, it will be 6 inches away from any finished masonry which is well within local building code requirements of airspace from combustibles. Also I am building this on a single piece of property but the owner divided it with a fence so set back issues are not a concern here either.

As for chimney gases, building code requires that the chimney vent 2 feet above all structures within 10 feet of it, so I will be building a structure with a total height of about 11 feet to clear the building to the right of the pizza oven.

I would not worry about the fence, as long as you are insulating and leaving airspace. I looked at your build yesterday and I think it looks fantastic!! Top notch brick work and planning, I think you'll be just fine leaving the fence where it is. Just make sure the oven vent is at least 8 feet from ground level to clear the fence and get the smoke above head level.

Neil- Thank you very much!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Serf

Thanks for that Neil, I feel reasured. All the vents will be at the max permitted height of 2.5m - 8ish feet and yest there will be an airgap of a few inches between the finished insulated dome and the fence.

I've been marvelling at the size and execution of your dome, thats nice work. How long do you think it'll take to fire from cold? Althought come to think about it being a commercial oven it probably won't ever get cold so it's not such a concern.

Looking forward to see it finished...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Apprentice

Made some more progress the last couple weekends and I let the owner start firing the oven. He's been doing a great job of keeping a fire at about 250 to 300 degrees burning for a solid 10 hours per day. The oven really has not had a chance to cool down since we started and I have yet to see even the faintest of hairline cracks in the dome which really has me surprised, I figured an oven this size could have some serious expansion lines but so far so good.

I need to re-pour the concrete caps at the shoulders of the chimney because I popped the form too soon and one of the caps broke on me. Lesson learned

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-little-fire.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-structure-complete.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Apprentice

It's been a busy winter for me so I haven't had time to post pics of the oven. These images are where my part of the project is finished and the owner is taking over with mosaic. This monster cooks like a dream!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-oven-facade.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-oven-mouth.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-vent-transition.jpg   The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii-cured-dome.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Master Builder

Nice job Nic. Now that's a low dome. I have a 60" dia oven with a 23" dome. That was hard enough to build.