Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven vent....will it work?

Darren,
A quick change of subjects...

Aren't you using multiple sections of chimney pipe to get clearance above your pergola? I'm curious how stable the chimney is with the sections locked together. Also, are you using additional support at the top or in the middle to stabilize the chimney system?

Hey, I just noticed that I live just up I-5 from you. Cool. Homies.

BTW, I'm curious about your antibacterial soap note. Gotta be a story there somewhere.

Thanks
George

-
Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Peasant

George,
There are multiple sections. I bought them from a guys pulling a wood stove out of his kitchen and the two triple wall pipes just above the vent were threaded together then glued and calked when I got them. The single wall piece directly above the vent goes 1 foot up into the triple wall. There is a box that goes through the roof and another 2 foot sleeve that goes between the triple wall below and the 2 foot triple wall that rises above the roof. The box is the main support being bracketed to the roof gravity is doing the rest. An interesting note: I was worried about the leaking around the box as it is through a slanted corrugated aluminum roof but after much searching a found a somewhat new product which is neoprene in a caulk tube. It pipes on and smooths out easily and it is supposed to last 25 years. It comes in all the main colors and you can even put it on in the rain. Good stuff but don't use it in a closed room.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Peasant

Oh and for the bacterial soap Triclosan was the ingredient that was added to the soaps for a long time but many of the companies are quietly switching to an acohol based sanitizer. The Triclosan was carried through the sewers into the lake and rivers upsetting the biology of said water systems. But as for any germ killer the harm is two fold. It kills the bad bacteria but also the good which are many and unsung. It also causes the germs to eventually mutate or adapt to avoid being killed and that only makes them more stubborn when we really need to kill them. And lastly it really hasn't ever been proven to be more affective than a good ol' fashioned handwashing.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Master Builder

Changing gears back to your vent.

Will the front show when the oven is completed? If so - it might be cool to make the front out of copper or stainless steel.....

Looking good!!!

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Peasant

Chris,
I have thought of leaving it exposed so your idea about copper would be great. I plan on finishing with cement board and red brick facing. It cranked out a great Thanksgiving day meal 2 turkeys some bread and roasted brussel sprouts on the stalk.