Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven opening size

Bruce, I think I understand what you are getting at. It seems most people try to contain the ovens heat within the oven area itself rather than include the entry area. I can see some downsides to including the entry, the biggest being the fact that it wasn't heated in the fireup so as the WFO "normalizes" there will be greater overall temperature drop ....the heat used to heat the previously unheated entry.

I too am planning on being able to shut off the chimney from the airflow when "closing up" for the night and wanting to retain heat for the next days cooking. My plan is to remove the chimney and insert a plug in the hole. I have designed my WFO so the chimney can easily be covered for storms and periods of non use. To do this easily means simply lifting off the chimney and inserting the plug/cap. This will lessen the loss from the chimney as the uninsulated direct path to the outside world for heat from my dome is thru the entry and thru the refractory which is part of both the dome and the chimney.

So I will have a door for the oven itself and a plug for the chimney. I'll probably set the smoke door mentioned previously in place both as a place to store it and to keep the passing raccoon from finding the warm area too inviting and so wanting to curl up and make himself at home :-)

Wiley
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Serf

Default building an oven, my first posting

Hello,
I was inspired by this site to build an oven too. My husband and I are very excited about it. We have the base nearly complete and are finding lots of tips from the postings here. I am working with a contractor who has never built a pizza oven before so we are all learning together. The brickyard that sells the firebricks told him that he should use common clay bricks because they retain the heat better. This is completely contrary to the FB instructions, which clearly call for firebricks? Also, what is insulating concrete?
Thanks,
Connie
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Definitely use firebricks.
Your local brick yard should have them in stock. ( I found them at ACME for $1.11 each, I used about 220 bricks.)
They tend to be yellowish in color. But can also be found in lighter reds.

Insulating concrete is made of a mixture of Portland Cement (not Quikrete), and vermiculite/perlite. Portland comes in 94lb bags and can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot. Vermiculite/perlite comes in 4 cubic foot bags. It is usually found at garden/horticulture stores or at local pool supply outfits.

The normal ratio for insulating concrete is 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part Portland cement. (by volume)
Mix the two together first, and then add enough water until it holds together.

The structural concrete should be poured first, followed by the insulating concrete. I would suggest that you pour a 5 1/2 inch insulating layer.

After it "hardens" after a few days, (it will feel like cork) then begin laying your hearth layer.

Good luck!

And we enjoy pics around here!

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Serf

Smile Re: Oven opening size

Thank you so much for the answer to my question. I will post pictures of our progress soon.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Serf

Default how about the vent opening

Can anyone tell me what size vent opening I should have for a 11.5" x 19" opening on a 36" oven with a dome height of 20"?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Apprentice

According to Forno Bravo sales literature 22" wide is the perfect width of an oven door.
Forno Bravo Modena2G Oven Opening Size
Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Serf

Door hight from 61.8% to 63% will provide a good compromise of heating to draft.
Door width effects rate of burn and loading/unloading.

Plan ahead, consider your options once operating temperature is reached.
(Just an idea, maybe some type of sliding door, or a Venetian blind design)

Carl
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Laborer

tried to see you pics but fb says it cant find it
Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallholder123 View Post
tried to see you pics but fb says it cant find it
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/3/an...tos-690-2.html (Ancient Roman Oven Photos)

I had a hard time finding them too. (Used Google to search fb site)

Carl
Old 06-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Serf

I disagree with your method for mixing the insulating concrete. The cement and water should be mixed first to form a slurry. Strict attention to the water to cement ratio must paid. Additional water beyond the specified amount will weaken the concrete. Once the slurry is formed add the aggregate. Perlite is a slightly better insulator than vetmiculate so that's what I would use. Both are fine though.

Rent a tumble mixer for this and make your life easier.