Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: oven opening

Sablesprings pretty much summed it all up.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Serf

Hmmm, I've always wanted a fireproof suit
Actually, I was thinking I'd push the ashes/fire to the outskirts of the oven and clean the ash later.

I'm building this strictly as a pizza oven though I may cook bread in there as the oven cools. I have other outdoor equipment for anything else I would want to do (smoker/grill with offset firebox, gas grill, little charcoal grill). The slab on the ground was put in big enough for expansion as I may want to put a permanent grill out there, with a prep table between the pizza oven and grill.

I haven't finalized designs yet since I'm still listening to all with opinions on this. I'm leaning toward a maximum pizza size of 18 or 19 right now. One reason I prefer bigger pizzas is that as tasty as I find the outer ring of crust, to me the highlight is what's inside of that ring. I would love to be able to have a slice big enough to fold it like I did growing up in the Northeast. Take the pointy end and fold it a bit toward the crust handle then fold in half -- take a bite and if you don't have grease dripping down your chin then someone skimped on tasty ingredients. Great, now my mouth is watering.

Last edited by ericecon; 08-14-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

What you are thinking about is a NY-style pizza, which is not what you will get out of a WFO. If that's really your goal, you're probably going to be disappointed after you get done with all the work to build your oven. Neapolitan style pizzas are thin crust, crispy on the outside and tender in the center. Few toppings works better than more. Cooks in 90 seconds. NY are cooked in cooler ovens, with more substantial crust, and cook in about 10-12 minutes. It's not just the size of pizza. It's a fundamentally different style of pie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Apprentice

The other thing that you will find is that cooking a 10-12 inch pizza is pretty ideal....everyone that eats what you turn out will start tossing different toppings on the pies. Soon toward the end of the Pizza eating session, it will be a kitchen sink approach. (At least it is at my house) They all turn out so good. It will be the best pizza you have ever had if you use the right recipe and tips.

I would hate to waste all those options by making 1-2 very large pizza's and we are done....

I do the same thing as UTAH - I use a 14in wide peel and cook with a 9 in turning peel.

For the opening - I have a 42inch oven and my opening is 20" wide and 13" high.
For me it is just about ideal for an opening.

Good luck.

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
WC Fields

Link to my build