Old 09-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Floor

As to the fireclay/not fireclay question...if it is not fireclay...what is it? If it is refractory mortar, I say it is fine. It is probably fine anyway, but as you say, now is the time to consider it...

Drake
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the complements folks. James, when did you move to Pebble Beach? - are you giving up wine and pizza for golf??? (after working my butt off all summer on this project it seems like a brilliant choice)

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Les,
Your oven is looking great. If it is refractory mortar, it will set. Fireclay (which can be packaged as a "refractory" additive to Portland based products), won't. Setting your floor in mortar isn't bad, but it is a design choice.

We've been here about 5-6 weeks. It's not a house; it's an adventure. The house needs everything, and even worse, I think I'm the only person here who doesn't play golf. I'm still looking for a consistent tennis game, in between sledge hammer/Home Depot sessions. :-)

Still, our oldest daughter just started high school, and the countryside is very pretty. And we are excited about what we can do with the house, including indoor and outdoor pizza oven. I know where to find those.

Keep building.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hendo,

The insulation is 4 inches thick. The product is Insblok19.

Les...

Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
OK - my floor has been there for over a day and I'm a little concerned. When I bought the bag of "fire clay" it had the label of mortar clay. I called the store and they assured me that it was fire clay. Generally. not trusting anybody behind a counter, I called the manufacturer. It's NOT fire clay. Question: even if the heat compromises the product, can it do any harm. One would think that the bricks would just settle evenly. Any and all opinions are welcomed - now would be the time to replace it

Les...

I think it was the person behind the phone from the company...mortar clay is commonly referred to as fire clay and vise versa.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Uno! Did a quick search and saw that others have interchanged the two as well. This project is a learning experience - from many aspects.

JC - thanks for the lead in the Sac area. Don't need it now, driving across town is much easier

Les...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Apprentice

nice attention to detail...looks great! how far back from the front of the stand is the oven opening? i had invisioned mine a bit closer to the front for ease of loading and unloading. Yours seems back a bit compared to some on the board. Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve,

I had the same concern as well and this was discussed in some earlier posts. It was determined that having a landing area outweighs the reach problem. I am going to have a 12 inch landing in front of the entry. All said and done, it will be 29.5 inches to the inside of the oven – seems like a lot. I took a 4 foot rod and was able to reach around inside fairly easy. Granted, that’s not fighting the small opening (12.5 x 20). I think with a 5 foot peel / brush it should be able to work. Not much I can do about it, this puppy isn’t going to slide forward very easy.

Les…

Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Apprentice

Les,

regardless of where the oven is situated, im sure the pizza will taste just fine
Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les, what source do you use for both insoblock 19 and the Insulfrax blanket? Will you use Matrilite over the blanket/ fence wire, then finish with loose vermiculite?