Old 07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

Well there we have it. About 6 hours / Rack of ribs (it is the 4th weekend) / and some beers later....

8 yards of perlite and 1 80lb bag of Portland cement. That gave me a 5 inches insulating layer.

We have covered it with plastic (not pictured) Had Coronas (not pictured ) and we will wait a week or two to see how it looks.

I think I am going to pour a 2 to 3 inch layer of Heat Cast next to beef up the base and then start with the floor.

Glad to be back FINALLY working on mt WFO !!!!

Oh - who is that masked man ??? Me of course and the other guy in the last set is my Brother inlaw. Working for future food options of course !!!

Now off to Bottega's to have some WFO food (He has a cook book out all over the country now)

http://www.bottegarestaurant.com/

We are going to the Cafe side.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04219.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04220.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04225.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would not put a 2-3" layer of anything on there. It would be a good idea to wetset the floor brick in heatcast, but that is all you need.

Looking good!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post

Now off to Bottega's to have some WFO food (He has a cook book out all over the country now)

Bottega | Restaurant and Cafe

We are going to the Cafe side.

Rub it in, why don't you?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Laborer

Well hard to believe it has been a year !! Man - I am finally trying to get back moving on my oven. Been getting ribbed all year to see when it will be done. I have some help lined up and will get moving shortly. Man I have seen some cool advances and got to read some neat stuff the last few days. So I am looking forward to getting those ideas into my build.

Did I mention it is hot as fire around here !!! 100 today. At least I have a shade !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

By 'shortly' you mean 'October', right? The heat indices are in the red zone all over the state. It's in the mid 80's outside now - 9:15 pm!

No dying in the process - it's against the rules!

Personally, I'm buying Gatorade stock...

[/CENTER]
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Laborer

I'm BaaaaaaaaaaaaCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK !!! Note my date from last year ... 2011. Well I have pics to prove it ............... really. Made some progress today. I will get them posted soon. We got the Insaboard layer in and got my floor and the cuts done for the first course.

Glad to be back with an update finally !!! Hope it won't take 2 more years to get the next steps complete !!!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome back!

[/CENTER]
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Laborer

Here we got the insaboard layer put down and started doing our cuts. This is my friend and the first use of the tile saw I bought way back when a few posts and years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2503.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2506.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2510.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Laborer

Here are shots of the floor and first course test fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2516.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2519.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2523.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2524.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2539.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Laborer

The Angleizer tool rocks. We set a template after we used the string to get our apex angles and cut a few bricks. Once we were happy we set the tool up and used it as a guide to mark the rest.

Angle-izer

A trick we figured out (may be covered elsewhere) is that we marked the bricks with a sharpie BEFORE they went in for a soak in the water. Then the line would not come off when cut with the saw.

Sharpie would not work on wet brick and the pencil was ok, but washed off about half way through the cut.

Another thing we did was used a brick chisle to split the bricks in half. A good firm pressure, wood backing and a good hit with follow through did a good job. I think this saves a lot of cutting and time on the diamond saw blade.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2536.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2533.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-img_2531.jpg  

Tags
alabama, wood fired oven