Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

At least Fred lost the tee shirt over long sleeve shirt look. That was pretty dorky.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, it took a while to convince him the Eighties were over.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey MetalHead,
Your Sketchup model looks great. I'm really impressed with your base and hearth slab. I can appreciate the hard work and attention to construction detail.

You asked me on my thread last week (I was gone on vacation) about my vent and smoke draw and it is still perfect. Smoke only swirls on the landing area and gets sucked up like there's an electric fan in there. It's really cool.

The deep (15") landing I made forced me to make a big flu-box opening above that forced me to be extra careful to design the way it narrows into the 8" duct and it was worth the trouble. I THINK I might have been able to do it with a 1 or 2" shallower landing area and still would have drawn nicely. But my outer arch is taller than the inner so all of that contributes to the vent draw. The flared opening also forces you to have a wider vent opening. I've seen recent posts here of sharper flares and narrower but at least a slight flare seems to work out for most lately. It's easier to get your door in too that way.

Sorry you have to put up with all that rain but we're taskmaster here on this Forum and need pics of progress, rain or shine!

Keep up the good work, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Laborer

I have a strange sighting this morning. It is yellow orange with blue all around. There also appears to be these little points of light all over the blue area. Can anyone assist me in identifing the strange event?

Now of course after what seems rain for weeks, it is unseasonably cool with that Arctic blast comin down on us!!! Currently 36 degrees. But it appears its going to be nice today up to 58 degrees for the high. I'll see if it has dried up enough to do any thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc03634.jpg  

Old 10-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You set the sky on fire. Go get a bucket and put it out!

[/CENTER]
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

[QUOTE=MetalHead;68067]I have a strange sighting this morning. It is yellow orange with blue all around. There also appears to be these little points of light all over the blue area. Can anyone assist me in identifing the strange event? [QUOTE]

Sorry, I haven't a clue. Our sky is usually the same as yours: a grayish to black hue with moisture droplets falling all the time. You might call NASA and report this phenomenon.

Were you able to get anything done?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Laborer

Hello - I am back. Wow it has been 9 months... Work sucks ...
But hey - got my Heat Stop 50 and Heat Cast 40 ordered.

I hope to get the pearlite out in a week or so and get this project going again.

Everyone around knows I am building this thing and keep asking me when the pizza part is.

Glad to be back.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi! Welcome back!

[/CENTER]
Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Laborer

Well we got back going today. Had great weather to get back in the groove. The heat wave broke today and made a nice early summer day for making perlcrete.

Here are the forms we put in using leftover form materials from the base pour.

I even used recycled screws!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04196.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04197.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04204.jpg  

Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Laborer

We tried 7 to 1 but it was just to dry for the perlite we had. We went on to 5 to 1 and got what I expected from all the reading.

We did a 5 to 1 mix (5 parts perlite to 1 part Portland Cement).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmcnBjv0Qv4

The cement was mixed 1.5 parts water to 1 part Portland Cement. This gave the slurry I was looking for and coated the fine perlite very well.

We will see how it does after I let it set for a week or two.

I was weird to see something that was so wet actually look like it was to dry... Strange, but that seems to be a common thread when doing perlcrete...

The perlite came from a block company here in the city and this type is used to fill block walls. Not the best, but all I could get at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04209.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04216.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04213.jpg   Oven Build In Central Alabama-dsc04215.jpg  

Last edited by MetalHead; 07-03-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Tags
alabama, wood fired oven