Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: outdoor kitchen and oven base

Not quite but similar. He built it with stone, and it was coursed, dry laid work. I never asked him how he dried it in, since you didn't say if you wanted me to. I can if you want to know, it's no trouble.

I like Flemish,it's definitely one if my favorite bonds, a V will compliment it nicely. I will suggest that you pitch the cap on the steps a bit to encourage water to run away from the oven. You probably were going to do that, but it's worth a mention if somebody wondered about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Btw, your brickwork looks clean..nice job.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wayne,
Incredible progress you've made with so much detail in such a short time! I'm envious of your skill and you have what will soon be a top-notch oven.
Great job!
John
Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Apprentice

Stonecutter, if you wouldn't mind ask your pal how he waterproofed his oven. Any thoughts on what I could do with the entry veneer arch. Love your build with the granite arch, but do not know if I would have the room width wise for that configuration, with my steps. Really need something to highlight the entry, other than face brick. Thoughts???? thanks and thank you John for your compliments.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campmaki View Post
Stonecutter, if you wouldn't mind ask your pal how he waterproofed his oven. Any thoughts on what I could do with the entry veneer arch. Love your build with the granite arch, but do not know if I would have the room width wise for that configuration, with my steps. Really need something to highlight the entry, other than face brick. Thoughts???? thanks and thank you John for your compliments.
Ok I'll reach out to him.

What about a bonded semi circular arch? Maybe use a different color brick if you want it to stand out more.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Peasant

Campmaki,
Build is looking very nice and I am envious of the speed! Could you comment on the setting of your IT? It looks like you have it below floor level. Is this to intentionally lower the roof a bit, or was it just a good retention method?
Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Apprentice

There are a few brick left out so I could get the pivot point flush with the floor, this will give me 21 inches of height to the ceiling of the oven. My oven is 42 inch diameter. So my first course above the floor has some inward pitch. Felix I see you are from Wisconsin, where in Wisconsin?

Last edited by Campmaki; 05-28-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: additional verbage
Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

He said he used a membrane under the stone, but didn't specify what exactly. Also, the stone on the roof was mortar backed, and sealed...and the are pitched, not stepped. I asked him about what type of membrane he used....I'll get back to you.

If you are sticking with the step design and are using the adhesive backed membrane, then you will eyed to maximize your insulation beyond the standard I think...to avoid drool or bonding issues related to heat bleeding through the insulation.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Peasant

I am up and over in Cumberland. Trying to get traction to get beyond the base and get building the dome! We get around Stevens Point occasionally... I would love to see your set up. Carl
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 AM
Laborer

Beautiful work Mate!

You make it look easy.

Looking forward to seeing the continued progress.

All the best

Bert