Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pompeii Oven Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Official - Show off your tools. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/official-show-off-your-tools-19150.html)

V-wiz 03-28-2013 09:35 PM

Official - Show off your tools.

Your pizza oven tools that is.... Lets see those scrapers, shovels, brushes and handy tools you like to use when using your WFO. Lets see watcha got. :D

david s 03-28-2013 11:06 PM

Re: Official - Show off your tools.

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.

V-wiz 03-28-2013 11:09 PM

Great start and contribution, thanks David.

stonecutter 03-29-2013 05:36 AM

I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.

stonecutter 03-29-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david s (Post 148958)
Here are some that I have made and use. Note the stainless peel (my favourite) has sides that fit the perimeter of my 21" oven so I can move coals, a flat front, a point and a short handle which requires only one hand. Wooden peel from solid 19 mm pine.
My favourite tool, not shown, is a length of 8mm stainless pipe used to clean the floor, poke the fire and maintain flame if it dies.

David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.

kbartman 03-29-2013 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My very first WFO tool:p........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad):). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use:D..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????

V-wiz 03-29-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonecutter (Post 148972)
I can see this thread going 200+ pages...good one V-wiz.

Lets hope so, it may have potential.

stonecutter 03-29-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbartman (Post 148981)
My very first WFO tool:p........ A brand new wooded pizza peel (Birthday present compliments of mom and dad):). Well made by Lillsun purchase from the FB site. I'm can't wait to put to use:D..........Need advice on caring for this tool seems like it would need to be seasoned with some type of oil or something........?????

Here is a cool link to came across..it has some good info about care for cutting boards, chopping blocks etc,..peels need the same care. Look for the sub-heading 'How To Season Cutting Boards' halfway down.

Cutting Boards, Chopping Blocks, Butcher Blocks, Cutting Board Oil, Butcher Block Oil, How To Purchase Cutting Boards, How To Season Cutting Boards, Wood vs plastic cutting boards

deejayoh 03-29-2013 11:13 PM

I sanded down one of my peels and applied butcher block wax (same stuff I use on my concrete counters). I couldn't believe the difference for 10 mins of effort.

david s 03-30-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonecutter (Post 148973)
David, I have a good friend that has an architectural iron company, sometimes they work with stainless steel. He has some sheet stock and offered to cut some so I could make a peel..shape? An oval! But after seeing yours, I like the angle on the end..I image that it gives you nice control when turning pies or getting into the edges of the oven. Do you find this true?
I can't wait to make it..I have some nice oak for the handle that I need to cut down and shape.

Yeah, I'm really happy with the design. Tried it first in 0.9mm and it was a bit bit floppy. Now do it in 1.2 mm and it's just right. You would have to convert to your antiquated imperial system. I also sharpen the leading edge so the peel will slip under fresh pizza dough easily, although we usually prep on wooden peels and use the stainless one for turning and removal.