Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Try cutting one shaped like mine. The sides fit the dome shape for coal moving, the flat edge and point at front really useful too.
David, I have a big old stainless grill and I cut some shapes similar to your peel ( didn't use them). It was really cool to see your design, because I had sketched out something similar and I made templates for the new peel already.

I was basing my design on the same principles of a mud trowel, something which I have used for a long time. I thought if the shape worked for a bucket, why not for a round oven?

Mud trowel..

I'll post up when I get around to making it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 07-12-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: details
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Master Builder

Just got me a new toy off Amazon. Battery powered 24 LED light.

SpottedFrog likes this.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Journeyman

I thought I would give this thread a bump back to the top and show off some tools.

After gaining some hands on experience with my WFO. I thought I might share what tools I have settled on.

The first pic right to left:

My 9" alum pizza peel American Metalcraft 6109 9" x 11" Pizza Peel with Aluminum Blade - 61"
Price was right, works great. I have not bought a round peel yet for turning, but I'm not sure I need one, I've managed to turn the pies relatively easy with this one.

My homemade, poker stoker. I used the left over stainless tubing from my heat break. I fashioned the handle out of a oak limb. Had the poker and hook welded to it, works great for managing the fire. It has a hidden feature, The handle has a hole drilled threw it connecting to the exit near the poker end. Works great for blowing oxygen on the coals, doubles to blow all the ash off the floor for cooking.......... It also works fine for moving pots and pans around.

My brass brush scrapper 38" Pizza Oven Brush With Scraper I bought 2, the replacement brush was more expensive then one with a handle, I added longer handle from Lowes. I think it will be a long time before I get to use the extra brush, they are well made and should last a long time.

My homemade rack/ash shovel. The shovel idea just worked it self out as a added bonus. This tool gets most of the abuse as you can see, it is seeing a lot of heat. The handle replacement is at Lowes for $6.98 the metal part should last forever.

My floor brush also found at Lowes. The natural bristle brush is only $4.98 cheap and easily replaced. It takes the heat of the hearth fairly well and can be quickly extinguished in my pool, damp works best on hot hearth. I'm using the same $6.98 handles on most of the tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Official - Show off your tools.-dscn2732.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-dscn2731.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-dscn2737.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-dscn2734.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-dscn2666.jpg  

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 12-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Master Builder

Nice creativity there. Thanks for bumping the thread as id like to see some more tools.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Laborer

Great thread. Was wonder how people store their tools?

My build so far

Starting out collecting info and materials

Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

Good looking stuff. Especially appreciate the homemade (or home-tweaked) tools. Ive been trying to think about how to store mine and have them accessible. We were in Lake Tahoe all last week and while my wife drug me around shopping, I looked for some hooks to hang a couple of tools. Some of those home decor places wanted 39.99 for handmade designer hardware. I found these for $10 each with some nice screws that I plan on putting on the side of my WFO in the brick, and a vertical hanger around back for less frequently used tools.

Official - Show off your tools.-20131209_191158.jpg
SpottedFrog likes this.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerAC View Post
I found these for $10 each with some nice screws that I plan on putting on the side of my WFO in the brick, and a vertical hanger around back for less frequently used tools.

Attachment 40613
Garner those are nice, ( here comes an unwanted opinion) so don't ruin the look with a screw. You can get ordinary masonry cut nails, which have a flat rectangular or square head that would better replicate an early nail....something you would see in a hand forged accessory like that.

Just sayin.....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A highly valued part of my quiver....

Official - Show off your tools.-img_1600-beer-tool.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I probably have some antique cut nails around here somewhere.
GarnerAC likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Garner those are nice, ( here comes an unwanted opinion) so don't ruin the look with a screw. You can get ordinary masonry cut nails, which have a flat rectangular or square head that would better replicate an early nail....something you would see in a hand forged accessory like that.

Just sayin.....
You dont think a Blue Tapcon would look good?? Man, what a snob! lol
They came with these screws and I got a couple extra just in case I snap one. I figure to drill a 3/16' hole in a brick and hope it bites. Might drill another hole and do 2.
Official - Show off your tools.-20131209_212131.jpg
V-wiz likes this.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain