Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Pompeii Oven Construction

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Official - Show off your tools.

V-wiz,

Good site for info but the prices are WAY high!

Kurt
Old 05-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plootsnot View Post
Bought this set in Italy for 25 euro, use only the brush, round peel and hook.

Have other self made items, will get some photos of these up once it stops raining here.

The small round peel is great, I use my handmade wood peel to lift pizzas off the prep area and put into oven, all other handlings are done with the small round peel. You can easily move multiple pizzas and turn them inside the oven. Very light and handy getting in and out of oven.

If anyone has never used one i would suggest this is the next thing you get/make.

*added peel photo, its very crude made it the first night we baked because we had nothing else, been a keeper ever since, made from 3mm plywood and an old broom handle!
They look great for the price! Where can I get a set and would they post to Australia?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by plootsnot View Post
Bought this set in Italy for 25 euro, use only the brush, round peel and hook.

Have other self made items, will get some photos of these up once it stops raining here.

The small round peel is great, I use my handmade wood peel to lift pizzas off the prep area and put into oven, all other handlings are done with the small round peel. You can easily move multiple pizzas and turn them inside the oven. Very light and handy getting in and out of oven.

If anyone has never used one i would suggest this is the next thing you get/make.

*added peel photo, its very crude made it the first night we baked because we had nothing else, been a keeper ever since, made from 3mm plywood and an old broom handle!

Nice tools thanks for sharing
Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzOvenBuilder View Post
They look great for the price! Where can I get a set and would they post to Australia?
Hey Oz,

Any hardware store in Italy has them, might be able to do an internet order only problem would be finding someone who speaks Ital to help you translate! Should be doable otherwise since most Italians & Greeks have an oven in their backyards these tools are readily available. Similar to availability of BBQ items in OZ I would think!

Regards

Kurt
Old 05-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Somewhere on the forum, I read a warning about the danger of using a metal-bristled brush in your oven. After reading this article in the paper the other day - I now see the issue a bit more clearly.

Root of teenís mystery ailment: tiny wire from barbecue brush

Poor kid had to have exploratory surgery to find the wire that was lodged in his intestines!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use a blow pipe to clear the ash. Just remember to blow not suck.
Mario Natali likes this.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Master Builder

Finally got around getting my oven tools together.

8" peel, custom made coal rake made out of a steel trowel with the end bent. Brass wire brush with a scraper end. Large aluminum peel. Natural bristle brush, ash/coal shovel (home made). A bubble popper, i actually bought that to move pans in and out of the oven. A coal shovel and long tongs.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

One of my favorite tools/toys. Definitely better than using matches and newspaper to light up. It has its own spark starter. I can get my first fire roaring in just a few minutes. Does this qualify as a tool for this thread? I hope so.

Aceves
Attached Thumbnails
Official - Show off your tools.-tool1.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-tool2.jpg   Official - Show off your tools.-tool3.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Picked up a peel....nothing special, but I like American Metalcraft. Cheap, but a decent peel. I cut this one down by 3/4" all the way around, because I have a pretty small oven at 32". Sanded the aluminum down, then stained it. When it dries I'll oil it up.

Official - Show off your tools.-img_1590.jpg

I'll also be getting an 8" round peel. I think I'm going to try cobblerdave's idea of a blow tube from a golf club. It sure would be better for me, using it for the oven than on the golf course, that's for sure.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Picked up a peel....nothing special, but I like American Metalcraft. Cheap, but a decent peel. I cut this one down by 3/4" all the way around, because I have a pretty small oven at 32". Sanded the aluminum down, then stained it. When it dries I'll oil it up.

Attachment 37232

I'll also be getting an 8" round peel. I think I'm going to try cobblerdave's idea of a blow tube from a golf club. It sure would be better for me, using it for the oven than on the golf course, that's for sure.
Try cutting one shaped like mine. The sides fit the dome shape for coal moving, the flat edge and point at front really useful too.